Sign in to follow this  

Great Escape Jump

If you had the chance, how many of you would attempt that over the fence jump that Bud Ekins did in the movie The Great Escape? On today's bikes it would be entirely different. The barbed wire would kind of freak me out.

If the purpose of the jump was for MXJunky to escape a Nazi prison, hell yeah!

If the purpose of the jump was for MXJunky to escape a Nazi prison, hell yeah!

Thats exactly what I was thinking:thumbsup: For fun - no way!

well, if I were to be in a Nazi prision camp, then I would have no problem jumping over a fence--that scene was kind of duplicated in another movie with an mx bike, I think it was triple x or something

I saw a picture showing Steve McQueen sitting on it and the engine looked like a triumph twin! German military motorcycles in WWII were the BMW boxer twins!

It was a dude named Bud Ekins who made the jump if I remember correctly. He was a friend of Mcqueen's. It looks easy enough and I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Craigus

If you are talking of doing that jump, then you are talking about jumping a Triumph Bonnie. Easy money on a KTM or whatever, not so on the classic machines. Ekins was a genius.

Also, in movies, they frequently use rubber bands dressed up to look like real barbed wire. Remember the scene where McQueen slid into the wire and got tangled up? It's the same stuff they used in westerns or any time an animal or actor gets tangled up in a barbed wire fence.