Sign in to follow this  

Clutch: OEM or Aftermarket

I just blew my clutch (http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474960) and called the shop about purchasing a new one today. They got the OEM Honda clutch and friction plates, and aftermarket BR's or somthing. They suggested going with the oem as more people seem to like them. I would like another opinion. I can also order the barnett kit from motosport. Let me know what you think! Thanks

BTW: It's a 02' CR250R

i just put a barnett kit in my 2000 cr250, other people told me to go honda oem, but i decided to go barnett, and i think in made the right choice cause i love it

you are paying a similar price, why not get the nicer one? go aftermarket

how is it nicer? I'd just like to buy the more durable and better performance one, for around the same price. I have gone through barnett clutches before quite quickly on my old WR400, and would like to try somthing different.

i just put a barnett kit in my 2000 cr250, other people told me to go honda oem, but i decided to go barnett, and i think in made the right choice cause i love it

Did the other people give you a reason to go honda oem?

how is it nicer? I'd just like to buy the more durable and better performance one, for around the same price. I have gone through barnett clutches before quite quickly on my old WR400, and would like to try somthing different.

i ment the better clutch that will perform better

Did the other people give you a reason to go honda oem?

yes, the people that reccomended them raced, they said they were better than barnett, lasted longer, but i dont race so i went the barnett route, and they said they replaced them about every month, so that made me think they were crappy,but im not sure

OEM plates run great and they can take a beating. The only problem, they run aluminum plates which will muddy your tranny oil. I currently run Barnett Carbon Fiber's (they come with steel plates) in my CR500. I have to say I really like the feel of the Barnett. If you're in doubt, run OEM. You cant go wrong with that. OEM is great quality but a price comes with that quality.

what is the diffrence between the barnett carbon fiber, or kevlar friction plates, i run kevlars, but i saw carbon for cheaper, that dosent make sense to me cause ususally carbon products are REALLY expensive??

BUY stock, You can't beat them. After market unit's won't last as long.

Bah! :applause::applause:

Bah! :applause::lol:

What is that for ? It's the truth, oem clutch plates/fibers will outlast after market stuff. Now the rest of the clutch parts basket,inner hub,pressure plate are junk get rid of them and get barnett,hinson stuff. :applause:

What is that for ? It's the truth, oem clutch plates/fibers will outlast after market stuff. Now the rest of the clutch parts basket,inner hub,pressure plate are junk get rid of them and get barnett,hinson stuff. :applause:

hmm, my barnet clutch kit outlasted my stock one by far, on 3 of are bikes this has proved true, i may be wrong though:excuseme:

What is that for ? It's the truth, oem clutch plates/fibers will outlast after market stuff.

It's the truth for you (a.k.a. opinion). :lol: I guess everyone's experience is different. My stock clutch pack did not last as long as the Barnett Kevlar I am currently on. :applause: :applause:

oh yea, about a month before i bought my bike, the previous owner put the oem clutch plates in, just fibers, but they didnt last too long, even tho that was kinda my fault, but now i like my barnett alot, it grabs very hard, i like it alot :applause:

how often do you guys check your plates? i have had 2 clutches go out on me a month after i bought them (both bikes) now that they are replaced i want to switch the plates out before they crack and get metal everywhere...like the last two...Not fun stuff.