Sign in to follow this  

TTR 90 ? Are they: that much faster, better suspension, than an XR70? Fair Price?

Thinking of moving my 10 year old up to a TTR 90. Currently rides and XR70, likes the seat height and no clutch.....however wants more power and NEEDS better suspension. The TTR 90 I'm lookin' at has a FMF pipe and BBR shocks front and rear......"on paper" should this TTR flat out, out perform the XR70 that is stock.......FYI we have 3 XR's in the stable......going take a lot to make the switch to blue. Also what's a fair price for the TTR90, 2005, supposed to be in great shape?

If he is aggressive and needs the power and suspension like my 9yr old it's time for an 85. Any jumping at all and the ttr's not sufficiant even with the shock upgrades. It's sounds like time to learn the clutch to me. The pipe and shocks should'nt affect the price on the used 90. In Cali it might be worth 11 or 12 hun. tops

I would agree, it's time to learn the clutch. My 8 year old learned it in a day.

Is the 85 that much different than the 70 (15cc). Is the 85 faster than the ttr90. What about seat height? Seems the 85 is quite a bit taller than the 90?

You have a ton of choices. But I would rule the 90 out of it. Personally I'd rule the 85 out. A XR70 has about 4 hp, any 85 has about 20hp. That's a big big jump. But you know your son, not me. I would look at a klx110, ttr125, or xr100. You can make all those bikes super fast (considering) and give them decent enough enough suspension to jump nearly anything. The only real issue is it wil take quite a bit of money to do it. I've owend all three, so I know. You can probably get a fully built klx 110 for probably about $2300 or so. You can make them up to 160cc's, clutches, huge suspension, etc. Anyway, I would have him ride a something likes this until he's ready for a 85 or a race 150. Hopefully by then yamaha will have theirs. Just my $.02. I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions. They are all valid.

Did'nt think of it before but if he's not to huge for it a KX65 might be just the ticket. Plenty of suspension and mild throtle hit. Buy used unless there is another one comming up behind him.

My son is 9 and had the CRF70. Just bought him the TTR125E and he picked it up in a few hours. I recommend the TTR125E (small wheel) or CRF100. Good Luck!!

Actually the kx65 might be a nice option. But beware, they are like little tiny fuuny cars in the hands of a little tyke. I've seen kids do jumps on those that there is no way in heck I would do.

Agreed, the KX65 is the logical performance step up from a XR70/TTR90/KLX110. A bit taller, much more power and suspension.

The TTR 90 I'm lookin' at has a FMF pipe and BBR shocks front and rear......"on paper" should this TTR flat out, out perform the XR70 that is stock.......?

Back to my original question above...."should" being the operative word...should it out perform thr XR70 ???

I'd go with the 85, seeing as there's really not much of a difference, so your son won't need much time to adjust.

Back to my original question above...."should" being the operative word...should it out perform thr XR70 ???

My boy just steped off his TTR90 for a CRF100 last year. He raced the trail class at the local track for a year against XR70's, TTR90's, XR80's, XR100's, and KLX 110's. with the exception of the CRF100 the 90 can hang with all of them. What I mean is its more the rider than it is the bike. They are all very closley matched. The girl that ended taking the class title was on a XR70 with a 88cc big bore kit. She completely smoked everyone. But even then it was more her than it was the bike. She was just a fabulous rider.

Depending on where you are riding (trail -vs- MX) and if you want to stay with a 4-stroke I would look at the KLX110 or the CRF100. There is a ton of aftermarket parts for the 110. I would look at that one before the 90.

THE CRF100 is a great bike because it has bigger tires which makes it worlds beter in the woods (soft sand and little tires suck) Plus the 100 has a huge aftermarket following. I have spent WAY too much $ on my kids 100 (its now a BBR120). But its fun.

If your looking to do MX with him go with either a KX65 or 85(of any make) way more bike than the trail bikes will ever be.

I dont know where you are at but my 03 TTR90 is for sale for $1000 with lots of goodies.