Sign in to follow this  

2000 400 sxc? Any good?

A kid at work has a bike he got for a trade and he can't handle and is looking to dump it for less than 2 grand. The bike says 400 sxc on it, but i checked the vin here http://www.ktmcyclehutt.com/checkvin.htm. VIN # VBKEXJ402YM324331. So according to the EXJ it should be a 2000 400 EXC not an SXC? The bike is in great shape, but I'm just not to sure what it is. It has a left kick, has headlights and turn signals. I mostly looking for something to ride to work(about 20 miles roundtrip back roads). Would this make a good light commuter? How tough would it be to plate this thing? And i'd like to swap on some SM wheels and tires how feasible is that? This would be my first KTM, but i've rode Honda dirtbikes since i was 6. Thanks.

Dan

they have the LC4 motor, look in that section for more info...I have a 2000 also, its a big bike (for me), but nice. for 2g's its a steal, my friend gave me a deal on his for 2...they book out at around 3 I think.

Good bike but low tech and heavy, not to be confused with the 400 EXC which since 2000 has had the RFS engine and is quite a bit lighter

but from what I understand the 400sxc's LC4 motor is pretty much bulletproof, think honda XR style, but with more difficult oil changes:ride: it still puts out over 40hp