Sign in to follow this  

new 2-stroke technology.. coming back?

I hope so.... 2-strokes need to make a comeback!

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mchonda/exp2_tech.html

IMPRESSIVE!!

Compared to Honda's current NXR780 four-stroke twin rally race bike, the EXP-2 has very similar performance with several advantages. While the single cylinder EXP-2 produces 54hp to the big NXR's 71, they both make 58 lb-ft of torque, but the EXP-2 is 118 pounds lighter, giving it a slightly better power-to-weight ratio. What all this boils down to is that the EXP-2 has about the same real-world performance as the 780, but with substantially better fuel economy and lower emissions. By increasing the mileage of the bike, it can be raced carrying less fuel, which improves handling and decreases rider fatigue. The problem of unburnt fuel escaping with the exhaust has yet to be solved, but for all you two-stroke die-hards out there: stay tuned, this is the start of something we have all been waiting for.

if you read the riding impression they guess that it would be in production before the year 2000, hopefully honda has'nt forgot about the technology and will someday bring back the 2smoke

IMPRESSIVE!!

Compared to Honda's current NXR780 four-stroke twin rally race bike, the EXP-2 has very similar performance with several advantages. While the single cylinder EXP-2 produces 54hp to the big NXR's 71, they both make 58 lb-ft of torque, but the EXP-2 is 118 pounds lighter, giving it a slightly better power-to-weight ratio. What all this boils down to is that the EXP-2 has about the same real-world performance as the 780, but with substantially better fuel economy and lower emissions. By increasing the mileage of the bike, it can be raced carrying less fuel, which improves handling and decreases rider fatigue. The problem of unburnt fuel escaping with the exhaust has yet to be solved, but for all you two-stroke die-hards out there: stay tuned, this is the start of something we have all been waiting for.

Unfortunately that technology is over 10 years old and is going nowhere.I wish it was true

A Suzuki salesman clued my in to this a few years back at a supercross event.I was not sure if he was b.s'n or not. I guess now I know.The 2 stroke

power to weight ratio and simplistic design are to good to just let them die.Apparently Honda is not the only company toying with the idea.I just hope the main manufactor's don't slow the process because of the millions they are making in replacement parts for the grenades they are selling now.A $120.00cdn. for a titanium intake valve,and you need two &%$#@!! Thats why I bought a cr500. Four stroke my d--k

I just hope the main manufactor's don't slow the process because of the millions they are making in replacement parts for the grenades they are selling now.

Yeah, that's the problem. Well, that and marketing. If everyone was demanding 2-strokes, Honda would change their policy real quick. If 2-strokes aren't moving but 4-strokes are, it's a no-brainer from a business stand point. Hopefully, enough people will see the light and start demanding the return of the 2-stroke.

That article looks really old. If you follow the link to the "riding impressions" the last sentence states that the author believes it will be in production before the year 2000!

Yep, thats an old one. Unfortunately, Honda dropped this program the last I heard....hence its 2007. They are makin it hard on the 2-Stroke guys. My next bike will be an KTM 300, at least KTM will continue to make smokers for a while. I'll still have the CR500 tho......cant part with that.

A Suzuki salesman clued my in to this a few years back at a supercross event.I was not sure if he was b.s'n or not. I guess now I know.The 2 stroke

power to weight ratio and simplistic design are to good to just let them die.Apparently Honda is not the only company toying with the idea.I just hope the main manufactor's don't slow the process because of the millions they are making in replacement parts for the grenades they are selling now.A $120.00cdn. for a titanium intake valve,and you need two &%$#@!! Thats why I bought a cr500. Four stroke my d--k

My dealer told me more like 40$. :applause:

They got the two stroke to run cleaner, but you still have oil in the gas and that dosen't set well with the EPA. this is one reason mazda droped the rotory some time back. Now they use defferant seals that don't need lube in the intake.

My dealer told me more like 40$. :applause:

Not for titanium,steel maybe.Steel will thrash your head faster.

They got the two stroke to run cleaner, but you still have oil in the gas and that dosen't set well with the EPA. this is one reason mazda droped the rotory some time back. Now they use defferant seals that don't need lube in the intake.

What Rotary did they drop?

I just drove a new RX8 rotary!

What Rotary did they drop?

I just drove a new RX8 rotary!

:applause:

THE ROTARY JUST CAME BACK a COUPLE of years ago, mazda used to pump the crank case oil into the intake to lube the rotor.

Not for titanium,steel maybe.Steel will thrash your head faster.

What?

I bought a brand spankin new titanium intake valve for $46.48 from service honda.

And what is this about steel valves thrashing heads faster???? &%$#@!?

I believe you are wrong my friend

I wouldn't count on two stroke to come back in America. Other countries sure. Its on it's death bed here. Unless something serious changes in the government, which I doubt with all the environment talk. It is pretty much done. Higher chance living in states other then California but overall.

Sorry guys.

Old thread I know! but I just bought a 2009 E-teck 600 HO 2 stroke EFI ski-doo last winter, and it is the bomb! it doesn't smoke, is lighter, faster, and gets better milage that the fours on the market. Why don't they bring this tech to the 2 stroke bikes? EFI on my KX 250 would be sick!