Sign in to follow this  

JD Jet Kit on 2005 450 MXC

Can anyone give me some feedback on how well the JD Jet Kit eliminates the bog that this bike is known to have? Is there any other noticeable improvements after putting the jet kit on?

I have a JD kit coming in the mail for my 05 450SX...so ya, any advice would be great from fellow Katoomers

I had a kit on my 450 EXC. I did not like it. I think the bike ran rich, still had a flat spot on the bottom and was hard to start. I replaced it with the HT-racing powervane which adds low end power and uses the stock jetting. HT worked better IMHO. It gave better bottom end, quicker starts and crisp throttle response compared to JD needle.

I've got friends who say they had great luck with JD kits. If you don't like the JD kit, send it back- James Dean has a great business and he backs his product. You can even email him on KTMtalk or his business website and he will make suggestions. HT's Bill Thomas does the same, great customer support or your money back.

Either product is backed by the manufacturer.

Cool. So that powervane is a good add on then...is there a benefit to run both a JD kit and a HT powervane? And what about a Factory R & D P38 Lightning accelerator pump plate?

Thanks

I have an 05 mxc with the JD kit and LOVE it! It runs so much better than stock! I haven't tried the powervane w/ HT header yet buy my dad's putting one on soon so I'll give it a try and compare.

I had a kit on my 450 EXC. I did not like it. I think the bike ran rich, still had a flat spot on the bottom and was hard to start. I replaced it with the HT-racing powervane which adds low end power and uses the stock jetting. HT worked better IMHO. It gave better bottom end, quicker starts and crisp throttle response compared to JD needle.

I've got friends who say they had great luck with JD kits. If you don't like the JD kit, send it back- James Dean has a great business and he backs his product. You can even email him on KTMtalk or his business website and he will make suggestions. HT's Bill Thomas does the same, great customer support or your money back.

Either product is backed by the manufacturer.

Thanks for the feedback. This is interesting to me because if I understand correctly what the powervane is doing, it's basically increasing airflow into the carb, which would make it run leaner, right. It's also my understanding the flat spot or bog I have is due to the bike coming off the factory floor with a very lean set up, although this could be more specific to the California bike. So if that's the case, wouldn't the powervane be taking me the wrong direction? Perhaps putting both on would provide the most benefit? Am I seeing this right or am I off base? I think I do need to talk to James or Bill....

Use the leaner Red marked kit needle when running the powervane and you will have a great combination. The kit's Red needle starts out closer to stock and improves the mid-range beyond what the stock needles can deliver. The Blue needle runs richer than needed with the powervane.

Thanks,

James

My understanding is that the power vane is not really bringing in more air, but directing it past parts of the carb where it can be more benificial for performance. So same amount of air just makes carb act different. I have one on my 05 450 mxc.

My understanding is that the power vane is not really bringing in more air, but directing it past parts of the carb where it can be more benificial for performance. So same amount of air just makes carb act different. I have one on my 05 450 mxc.

Correct, more air would make it run fast (just twist) straighter air makes the sipon process more efficent. For the pre 06 bikes I like the HT "torque vane". in 06 they modifed the carb so the air bell is no longer removable so HT went to making this piece that goes on the engine side of the carb, apprearently it works but it has never made sence to me.

I have always run the vane on the back of the carb, JD Red and restricted the AC pump to a 1 second squirt. All of this is in the FAQ section at the top of the page.

I've had good luck with the JD needle kit, but it won't cure all ills. My bike was jetted correctly before I started, so the bottom end response was no different, but the mid-high range became MUCH stronger with the new needle. I also noticed an improvement by getting my accelerator pump squirt down to 1 second (with the "Honda" diaphragm). Not a huge difference, but instant throttle wheelies got easier. Both of the above changes improved my mileage, too.

As far as I can tell the P-38 goes the wrong way for these bikes, giving you a bigger squirt of gas. That might help if you were initially lean, but if it is jetted correctly this accessory might CAUSE a (rich) bog. For bikes with a leak jet in the carb the P-38 could be okay.

Good Luck!