Sign in to follow this  

Warning: MSR shift lever

MSR part number 070709 for 1986-2004 XR250R/L

Just had the second one since September '06 break. The first one lasted four months, the last one lasted three rides. Both failed in exactly the same way.

What happens is the spring breaks for no apparent reason, allowing the tip to fold back and stay there.

I thought the first failure was a fluke, but now that the second one has failed it's pretty obvious that there is a manufacturing defect of some sort on the spring.

If you're looking for an aftermarket shifter, I recommend looking elsewhere (IMS, Tusk, etc...).

-B

I'll have to keep that in mind if I accidentally bend my shifter any more. Thanks for the warning :applause:

Put a wrap of Teflon tape under each perch mount. It will give a bit and allow the perch to turn under higher than normal pressure if you take a fall, in most cases.:applause:

Put a wrap of Teflon tape under each perch mount. It will give a bit and allow the perch to turn under higher than normal pressure if you take a fall, in most cases.:applause:

tried that, every one that broke had teflon under it! The adjuster screw snapped, the threaded part of the perch would separate, the clamp screws stripped out. Maybe I'm just hard on parts..........

I really like the OEM shifter. I have bent mine all up and straightened it out with a cresent wrench. Something has to give in a crash, I like the bendable steel.

Mine was really mangled when I bought the bike. I had to cut the tip off, hammer the mangled piece straight and weld the tip back on. Cost $0.00

I must of got lucky with mine because I have a MSR clutch lever and shifter and haven't had an issue with either yet. But of course now that I posted this they will both break instantly on my next ride.

I got an ASV clutch lever ($45 on ebay)after I busted my stocker and haven't had an problems.

Also, try the Tusk foldable shifter. Mine has gotten beat pretty hard on rocks and pops back every time.:applause: