Sign in to follow this  

HELP! Stick with the XR70 or get a TTR90 for my 10 year old?

I'm buying time here, about 6mn to 1yr. Here is the dilema. My 10 1/2 year old is starting to get some confidence on his XR70 (has had for about 6 mns.) Likes to trail ride and small/med jumps, etc. The XR suspension is stock and he is bottoming it out (he weighs about 75lbs). He can handle something a little more powerful and better suspension. I found a '05 TTR90 with a FMF pipe and BBR f/r shocks. Can probably get the TTR for about $1000.00 and sell my '99 XR for about $500 (to a friend)...net out of pocket $500.00. Or should I just get some H/D springs for the front and rear of the XR and call it day. He really likes the seat height of the XR and TTR. We are an XR family, as I have a 400, and my 8 year old has another XR70. Bottom line....Should/will the TTR90 be faster, have better suspension...or is it not really that much better than the XR70. I feel he will be ready for a clutch on a CRF80 or 100 in about 6mns to 1 year, so I really don't want to spend a lot right now....thoughts?

Hes probably ready for a CRF100. They would be perfect. Not too much power that it will scare him. The suspension is alright. Ask him wut he wants.

i'd say your best bet would be to buy some BBR HD springs and dampnign rods forhte 70 forks and a new HD spring to the rear shock adn upgrade the motor to an 88 race head ( the 70 head is about equivalent to a race head) so order a 88 cylender with the psiton for teh race head, then get the cam for it and the power wil pick up quite a bit while the suspension should hold him on the jumps.... i'd stick with the honda either way

it will cost you less than the swap and he'll still hav ea bike he's comfy on

big bore kit ( but the trial bikes stage 2 and tell them you need the piston for the race head) should cost you about 250 with carb and cam

then the springs and rods should just about match teh rest of your remaining 250 bucks and he'll be a lot happoer with the bike in general

I don't think you'll see a significant gain in suspension with the TTR-90. What about a KLX110? Contrary to what the specs say it IS taller than a 70. I just went thru this with my son. CRF 80 is a little taller too. Probably be my choice right there. Good luck.

I think the KLX/DRZ 110 would be better if your son has a short inseam. If the he fits the 100 then that is the obvious choice. A small wheeled TTR 125 might also fit the bill. My thoughts. KJR

If he's big enough to kick a CRF80 thats the way to go.

It, like an XR70 will last forever and your 8 year old will eventually ride it.

Moving to the clutch is the way to go. My daughter rode an 80 for about 8-9 months and got all the confidence she needed before moving up to a 100 which is only slightly larger but goes much faster because of the wider gearing.

I'm buying time here, about 6mn to 1yr. Here is the dilema. My 10 1/2 year old is starting to get some confidence on his XR70 (has had for about 6 mns.) Likes to trail ride and small/med jumps, etc. The XR suspension is stock and he is bottoming it out (he weighs about 75lbs). He can handle something a little more powerful and better suspension. I found a '05 TTR90 with a FMF pipe and BBR f/r shocks. Can probably get the TTR for about $1000.00 and sell my '99 XR for about $500 (to a friend)...net out of pocket $500.00. Or should I just get some H/D springs for the front and rear of the XR and call it day. He really likes the seat height of the XR and TTR. We are an XR family, as I have a 400, and my 8 year old has another XR70. Bottom line....Should/will the TTR90 be faster, have better suspension...or is it not really that much better than the XR70. I feel he will be ready for a clutch on a CRF80 or 100 in about 6mns to 1 year, so I really don't want to spend a lot right now....thoughts?

Hi,My son Ross loves his XR70,he weighs about 100lbs with gear,put some BBR SP5 damper rods in the front forks with the standard springs and use 20weight oil with an oil height of 115mm and the front end works great,plus you get an extra inch of travel in the front end which really helps.In the rear we run an M1/A6 Ishock with the standard XR70 spring This gives you 6inches of travel in the rear insted of 3,with this setup u can jump as high as you like,Ross has got 4ft of clean air under the back wheel and the shock just soaked it up on landing and works great.As for more power there is loads of hop up potential:thumbsup: .Check out my garage for the full details.Martin