2020 Beta Motorcycles Announced Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Synthetic or Petroleum Oil for change??? and how often?

Hey guys,

I have an 06 450X, 2nd oil change today and put in regular oil. A friend of mine suggested I use Synthetic since there is very little oil in the engine. What do you think? How often should I change the oil. I ride trail not too hard, but pretty steady. Average about 120 miles per Weekend riding. I figure change the oil every 500 miles or so...

I can't answer for your X, but on my R I change the oil every Ride, and I cant gauge my miles as I don't use a counter of any sort, but I'd have to say about 100 miles a ride?

There is a sticky and aheap of threads on Oils via search, do some reading, 500 miles seems a tad excessive IMO.

Synthetic (Amsoil) all the way. I run it in every thing I own. You can definitely go a lot further with it. I would say 500 for trail riding would be great. If it does not look to bad when you drain it you might be able to stretch it further. Just make a judgement call.

.... sounds like we need someone to do a "maintenance sticky"! :applause:

500 miles of play riding?? Sounds okay to me.

I however change my oil after each and every ride. It saves me from having to check oil levels. :applause: Whether it be 100 mile race... or 100 mile fun ride. I treat every ride the same. And change oil (and filter) every time. It's cheap insurance.

Plus, my play riding at times could be as severe as a race condition... no two riders treat their bike the same. Asking for oil change intervals... you'll get a variety of opinions.

I run Motorex's synthetic... great stuff. But you'll get the world on what people use... no reason to ask opinion on which oil is best. :lol: I've done no scientific analysis on why I can even report that Motorex is "great stuff". I go by smell, color, and occasional oil testing from Hawthorne Machinery.

I like to change my oil (Motor and Trans) after every ride weekend, sometimes 300 miles sometimes 200......I change the air filter after every ride.

Personally I like Maxima Extra 10-40 in the engine and Maxima MTL 85wt in the trans.

I agree DD... I do my air filter every ride as well.

NOW....

let's do this;

Ask yourself "why wouldn't I change my oil, oil filter and air filter"? after each ride?

If you can answer yourself with a legit response... please post it here. I'm very interested. If you can't... just change, clean and re-fill.

Dirt bikes and the word lazy... don't mix too well.

:applause:

DD........

I see you are running MTL in your trans. I contacted Maxima about the formulation of their MTL. It has some ester additives, but is petroleum based...a compromise necessary to keep the price reasonable.

What Maxima suggested to me is that if I wanted the "best", to run Extra in both the engine and trans sides!

Are you running 10W40 all year long? I switch to 15W50 in our very hot summers.

Hey guys,

I have an 06 450X, 2nd oil change today and put in regular oil. A friend of mine suggested I use Synthetic since there is very little oil in the engine. What do you think? How often should I change the oil. I ride trail not too hard, but pretty steady. Average about 120 miles per Weekend riding. I figure change the oil every 500 miles or so...

use regular oil for the first hundred miles so that everything sits correctly. then start using synthetic. change every 6 to 8 hours or 150-200 miles.