Sign in to follow this  

Rmx 250

I am thinking of buying a 98 RMX 250, and I am looking for some strait forward opinions about this bike. Can you guys fill me in on the good the bad and the ugly???? Where does it shine and where does it lack. Is it a great woods bike or just another mx bike with lights and a flywheel weight???

Thanks for your opinions, Jeremy

Nope: not another MXer with a FWW & lights

Good features

18" rear wheel

Snail rear axle adjusters

Zerk fittings in linkage and swingarm

big yet slim fuel tank

Enduro porting

True wide-ratio transmission

Side stand

Odo

Trans shifts well

Clutch pull light

O-ring chain (gave mine away well before it was worn just to help another RMXer out)

55w headlight; good enough for night rides

Excellent off-road suspension (quality and performance); plush yet will take big hits/whoops

Heavier than RM flywheel

Easy to hop up; remarkable power gains with $10 '89 RM250 head gasket, PC or FMF pipe and muffler-S/A; near RM-like performance

Turns very well

Low maintenance

Easy to work on

Robust/durable

Many RM parts fit

UFO still makes some plastics

Good functions:

Can do desert and singletrack without sprocket changes

Can chug or scream up hills and other obstacles - you pick; very versatile

Between hopped-up power and suspension, will do whoops/rocks/most everything well

The bad:

heavy (realtive to MXers)

Brakes so-so

Aftermarket parts available though rare

Patience maditory with stock carb

Exhaust valve gums up

Stock bar perch too rearward; places bars in your lap like a trail bike

Bad Functions:

Some don't like snappy power (then get an XR)

Some friends razz yellow bike owners (none of mine did; especially those whom rode mine)

I'd say buy it; there's nothing like it coming out of Japan anymore. Suzuiki made it for the eastern-type national endruo circuit years ago; it still has more performance than many of us commoners can use, and it's cheap to keep, being overbuilt.

• Like 1

that pretty much says everything i wanted to say lol, it is all in all a good bike, runs well, and you shouldnt really have problems with it.

Jeremy:

The '98 RMX 250 is one of the best off-road motorcycles ever made. I'm 46and have been riding/racing for the past 35+ years. I know most riders are buying 4-strokes now, but it never ceased to amaze me why the manufacturers didn't offer wide-ratio, off-road versions of their latest 2-stroke mx bikes. KTM is the only one that still offers their 300. I've raced motocross, then hare scrambles the past few years, and the RMX is simply one of the best combinations of power, handling and comfort in an off-road

bike. If you do end up purchasing one, the first thing you should do is replace the stock pipe and muffler if they haven't been already - then go have fun.

• Like 1

Go to the Keihin PWK 38mm carb. Gets rid of any carb tunning problems. Also, more bottom end snap (not that this bike needs more). Search on PWK jetting for my jetting specs

I would like to see you on a more modern 2t.....not that the RMX is a bad bike but if you are going to compair it to an 06 450exc an 06 RM would be a better look into the world of 2t...no?

The RMX is like owning a KDX with some decent power. Buy it especially if the price is right.

i own a 98 rmx 250, just brought it like 2 months ago, its the best bike i've ever rode and, it looks choice, its just a little hard to find parts for, e.g, pipe etc... can some one help??

heres a pic of it

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee196/___Shift_MX_18___/?action=view&current=1998_RMX_250.jpg

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee196/___Shift_MX_18___/?action=view&current=RMX_250.jpg

Most parts are still available for RMX's. If you can't find what you need use the fiche and cross reference RM parts. That's what I've been doing while reworking mine.

Pro Circuit makes an excellent pipe for it; I have one on mine.

BTW, what kind of RMX is that?! Where are the lights? :thumbsup:

Since ---Shift-MX-18--- posted a picture of his RMX (where are the lights as Uncle Alpo asked?). here's my '98 (with lights) http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w15/dirtbiker_66/RMX250-2.jpg FMF Gnarly pipe and Turbine Core silencer/spark arrester. The stock pipe is decent, but ditch the stock silencer. It was made to comply with EPA sound requirements, is restrictive, and weighs a ton!

Since ---Shift-MX-18--- posted a picture of his RMX (where are the lights as Uncle Alpo asked?). here's my '98 (with lights) http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w15/dirtbiker_66/RMX250-2.jpg FMF Gnarly pipe and Turbine Core silencer/spark arrester. The stock pipe is decent, but ditch the stock silencer. It was made to comply with EPA sound requirements, is restrictive, and weighs a ton!

I'd kinda like to get my hands on an RMX250 silencer. I wonder if I could make it fit my YZ?? I doubt it. I like the idea of being VERY quiet. I've tried the FMF TC II and Q models; it seems they're no better than OEM.

I'll be the first to defend quiet silencers. There is absolutely NO good reason for very loud exhausts. However, the stock RMX silencer is a double-walled steel unit that is very heavy AND very restricive. The FMF Turbine Core spark arrester is significantly lighter than the stock unit, while being only very slightly louder. I'd give you my stock unit if I still had it, but it was thrown out, along with the pipe, years ago. I'm sure with enough "elbow grease" and tinkering, you could adapt it to your YZ. Maybe another reader has one?

I'll be the first to defend quiet silencers. There is absolutely NO good reason for very loud exhausts. However, the stock RMX silencer is a double-walled steel unit that is very heavy AND very restricive. The FMF Turbine Core spark arrester is significantly lighter than the stock unit, while being only very slightly louder. I'd give you my stock unit if I still had it, but it was thrown out, along with the pipe, years ago. I'm sure with enough "elbow grease" and tinkering, you could adapt it to your YZ. Maybe another reader has one?

I don't care too much about weight. I ride off road and don't race. Let's say my OEM weighs 2 or 3 pounds. If the RMX weighed even 10 lbs. more - It wouldn't matter to me. I just keep my OEM packing fresh and it's quieter than anything from FMF.

I've looked at the dBSnorkel too. I am skeptical. Think about the YZinger, the RMZ OEM silencer, the old Yamaha DT and IT 2 strokes. QUIET. Restrictive? Probably. But I figure my YZ is so damn fast now, how can the silencer really slow it down that much??? I tell you now that either FMF silencer made the bike run like crap.

An OEM Zook RMX muffler-S/A will not fit well on a newer YZ or most any other MX bikes. The inlet is pretty much level with the outlet, whereas the modern MXers are low inlet/high outlet.

Even then you'd have to make sure the rear caliper clears when the suspension is compressed.

Now the street-legal RMXes had a low-to-high muffler, but they are rare in the states.

As much as I'm not a big fan of FMF (fit), have you considered their QII S/A? Isn't ProCircuit's S/A quiet enough?

An OEM Zook RMX muffler-S/A will not fit well on a newer YZ or most any other MX bikes. The inlet is pretty much level with the outlet, whereas the modern MXers are low inlet/high outlet.

Even then you'd have to make sure the rear caliper clears when the suspension is compressed.

Now the street-legal RMXes had a low-to-high muffler, but they are rare in the states.

As much as I'm not a big fan of FMF (fit), have you considered their QII S/A? Isn't ProCircuit's S/A quiet enough?

Thread hijack - sorry. Have tried the FMF Q or TC II "The Q" and just the plain TCII. I think the TCII is actually quieter. It's quietest was on a '96 CR250. Something about that combo - very quiet.

If I were to buy another, I'd wanna try the Pro Circuit nature friendly. Nice and short but S/A integrated. I tried the PC Type 296 on a KX250; it was way too long and had bad fitment too.

Shrubber - You could try a stock KDX200 muffler, it's heavy and power robbing but most importantly, quiet as hell.

Now this is an option!!! I had a KDX200 that came with the TCII installed. Therefore I know its geometry is at least similar. I am probably over reacting. It is very infrequent when I am on the pipe and actually rapping the gears out of my YZ. Trail riding RPMs are pretty low and therefore the noise is too.

i'll never understand why suzuki stopped making the RMX.....nor why they havent updated it with a street legal RMZ like husky's te.....

i had a 92.....loved it....found a 97 and i'd never get rid of it if i could somehow get a street plate on it....

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Uncle Alpo, but what did u mean about a 'fiche' and cross referencing rm parts?? i just ordered an FMF Gnarly pipe for it but the dealer sent me the wrong one :thumbsup: i brought the bike without any lights n just a UFO twin on the front...

and by the way SuzukiRacer66, nice lookin bike mate...

SuZuKi roX [>RiDe^HaRd<]