Sign in to follow this  

Airfilter seal

Okay i am wondeing, is dirt going to leak past the airfilter where it seals if the seal isnt very tight? Is there a vaccum making the seal even better or not? Cause if i use any filter other than the oem on my crf250, i can stick my finger between the airbox and filter. Its not easy but it can be done... theres not a super tight seal. I think i might sell all my aftermarket filters on ebay and just buy a few oem ones... ive been paranoid about dirt getting into the engine and wearing the coating off the valves. So yeah... any opinions?

I use a Pro Seal to help seal the filter. I never have any dirt in the carb boot, so I guess it works.

Its just a plastic cage in the air filter. If you push and pry hard enough you will be able to get in between it. Make sure you are getting it installed correctly.

oh yeah and i do use that PC racing filter gasket

I wouldn't worry unless you start finding dirt on the other side of the filter.

I always use a little axle grease along the seal. It works great as a seal and cleans off with the PJ1 spray when I clean the filter.

DITTO,HEAVY GREASE ON THE RIM OF THE FILTER AND IN THE AIRBOX ITSELF TO HELP CATCH DIRT BEFORE IT GOES TO THE FILTER....I ALSO RUB GREASE IN THE CARB BOOT JUST IN CASE DIRT GETS THROUGH THE SEAL.

you could buy a 2 stroke and not worry about valves!!! :applause:

but seriously though...your just lifting the plastic cage up...put grease on the filter and forget about it