Sign in to follow this  

Breaking a new bike at -3 C

Ok.....so here i go:

Tommorow my bike is ready at the dealership, but im still wondering if ill bring the beast home, expecting temperature of -3 C....

Any of you know if this is too cold for a first ride? Any chance of damaging the bike or such thing?

I dont know shit about engine or mechanics, that why im asking....

Thanx for any advice here..:applause:

Ok.....so here i go:

Tommorow my bike is ready at the dealership, but im still wondering if ill bring the beast home, expecting temperature of -3 C....

Any of you know if this is too cold for a first ride? Any chance of damaging the bike or such thing?

I dont know shit about engine or mechanics, that why im asking....

Thanx for any advice here..:applause:

I would be more concerned of your tires not EVER heating up, road condtions, and just plain ole freezin your ass off!

Just wait for a more reasonable day. What's the point, anyway?

Haste makes waste- corny but true.

You'll drop it in the dway, break off a lever, scratch the tank, and then wonder what the hell you were thinking.

I'd be more worried about yourself. If you have the proper gear and the roads aren't ice covered go for it. The standard 10w-40 oil will handle the temps just fine. If it's indoors in the dealership warm up won't be a big deal either. The really big question is can you stand NOT to pick it up? :applause:

I'm with MXROB. I ride all the time below freezing. You'll probably have to drive a car there to get it so just make sure there is NO ice or snow or salt. Not sure how it would affect breakin, but that's a whole separate field of mythology. If it weren't for riding on dry saltless days below freezing I would have to store my DR and that would suck. I have to say though there's no way in hell you would want to ride the salty roads around me and the 3 inches of ice in the driveway would probably have you making your first upgrade (new handle bars) sooner than you planned on

congrats

Although I live in SC it does get below freezing here occasionally. Like the others said, make sure the roads are dry and no ice hanging around and then go pick up the beast!! If you have far to ride I would suggest a balaclava style head protection. Make sure it is the type that has the extra length that you can tuck into your jacket. I've ridden in the upper teens and lower twenties quite a bit this year and if its for more than 25 miles I get a serious sinus headache from the cold air going up my forehead. I have bandana style face protection but a friend just bought a nice balaclava style one that is excellent. Hope the roads are dry and go have some fun:ride:

If you have far to ride I would suggest a balaclava style head protection. QUOTE]

+1 on the balacava! I even use an insulated cap over the balaclava to help with the before mentioned forehead freeze. Learned all this commuting on my mountain bike back and forth to work in Michigan... I rode it up untill the snow piles stopped me. Even with the moderate morning temps here in San Diego in the wee hours of the morning I still use the bacalava and a neck sock. Warm and toasty! Pick em up at any bicycle store. :applause:

So is -3 C like 29 F. If so not a problem. The only time I have not riden this year was when there was snow. I get some strange looks at 9 F. The right gear makes or breaks you. The only thing I can complain about is the forehead freeze. I wear a balawhatever and still get it. Not enough room for another hood with helmet. If you store it in a unheated area invest in a cheap res (infared) heat lamp and clamp it to the footpeg to keep the engine oil warm.

a little off topic, but one of those goofy looking windshields for $50 will put an end to the wind in the face/neck problem. With the shield I can ride at any temp with just a helmet and jacket. It makes looking around a lot easier. I hate it when my neck is all bound up with gear. It is not safe if you can't freely turn your neck to look around. Side winds can be an issue for the upwind ear, but the shield really helps in the cold

BTW - I will be cruising up thru Quebec city and Montreal this summer. Hopefully it will be much warmer than -3C