Sign in to follow this  

2001 CR250 gearing questions

Well, I will likely button up the YZ250F tomorrow night after work and finally be ready to bring the CR out of the trailer and into the garage to start my tear-down and spruce up. In addition to deciding what plastics to use, replacing the fork seals, brakes, changing fluids, etc. I am going to put on a new o-ring chain and sprockets.

Since I bought the bike used, I don't even know if it has stock gearing. So, I am looking for opinions and information.

What is the stock gearing? (I do have a manual, but it's in the garage and I'm in the house....)

Now....what do people suggest for other gearing combinations than the stock set up? I will be riding northeast woods and maybe an occassional MX race or practice. It has a flywheel weight (12 or 13 oz. I think). I am leaning towards maybe going up a couple teeth on the rear sprocket for a little more low-end grunt and responsiveness. Let's hear all your opinions and experience! Thanks!:applause:

I have 13/49 gearing on my 02 and I love it. It really seems to bring out the power down low, and I still get 74mph topped. I would suggest leaving the stock countershaft sprocket (13), because 1 tooth up front makes a huge different (2 or 3 in the back). I also have a gold D.I.D non/o-ring chain. I had a O-ring chain before this one, and i will never go back to them, reason being for cleaning purposes. I think 13/49 will do the trick for you. Im a semi-fast rider in the woods and it works wonders for me :applause:

Thanks. I guess 13/47 is stock, right? If so, your set up sounds pretty much about where I was thinking of going.

DANG! I want to ride this beast! I got to ride it four times last fall....three times at MX tracks and once in the woods. Fork seals are leaking, brakes need work, etc., but I just had to ride it before tearing it down. Now I really want to get it ready for the first opportunity to ride!

I have soooo many projects for winter. My son's RMZ is DONE and ready to ride. My YZF will be done whatever night I get out into the garage this week...tonight or Wednesday, and the CR is next. THEN I have to do some work inside my trailer. I stole the luan off the walls for a house project. I am going to put real plywood on the walls and build some shelving/storage. I also want to get a piece of linoleum (black and white checkers, of course :applause: ) to put down. And while the walls are out I am replacing all the "EZ Splice" (STOOPID wiring :applause: ) connections from the mfg with solder connections and heat shrink.

I think the stock gearing is 13/50 on the 01 cr, I run 13/52 on my 01 and it works well.

13/50 was stock on my 01 CR250R. I found it too low for MX or woods. With stock gearing I would be totally toped out in 5th much to often on most MX tracks and all harescramble courses I've run (and I live on the "tight" east coast).

Currently run 14/48 and like that much better. For pure MX riding 13/48 works for most tracks and you will never need first. With 14/48 first is required for tighter turns, but the taller gearing is handy for off road.

I ride a combo of tight woods and MX and don't run any extra flywheel weight on my CR, I find it quite tractable in stock form. I do use a FMF Turbine Core II silencer (same as a Q I think) for noise reduction and spark arresting.

According to the Renthal website, 13/50 is the stock gearing for the '01. My '94 was stock geared at 13/49. I ride the north Georgia mountains with 13/51 gearing with no flywheel weight and a PC pipe/shorty silencer and it works well for every terrain. 13/52 would probably be the best setup for your bike in the NE.

Thanks for all the input. I did pull my manual out and 13/50 with 114 link chain is the stock set up. That is what is on the bike as well.

The sprockets are getting replaced, but the chain is actually in decent shape (Regina o-ring chain). I'm trying to decide whether to buy a new chain and keep this as a "spare", or just put this one back on. It really seems tight.

If I go up two teeth on the rear sprocket, will I need to go with an extra link or two on the chain? I can figure it out through trial and error, but was hoping someone would offer advice from their experience.

Thanks!

It is best to do sprockets AND chain together, even if one or the other is perfect. You should do new chains when doing sprockets. You can definitely use this one as a spare, I myself have 2 spares! Lol.

As for the chain, I would cut it 1 link longer than normal, if you are going up 2 teeth. You also got to remember, you can play a little with the lenth by the swingarm adjuster. But also remember, when you do a new chain, reset the swingarm bolts back all the way tighten, that way when they chain "stretches", you still have room to tighten it. I made the mistake once of leaving the bolts all the way out, so when it came time to tighten it up, I had no where to go!

:applause:

• Like 1

Although you could get by for a while using the old chain, everything will last longer if you replace all three together. I always order 120 links, cut out the few I don't need and save those as spares...they come in handy at times.

If you're going up two teeth on the rear, I would think you're gonna need at least two additional links...for a couple dollars more, I'd go ahead and buy 120 and not have that to worry about...

Yeah, I was just having a Sanford and Son moment.....trying to skimp when I'm this close to getting it done. Just tired of spending cash since this is the third of three dirt bikes that I'm going through over the off-season. :lol: I'm going to go with 13/52 and a new o-ring chain. I was thinking.....two more teeth will probably only require one more link, but I'll just eye ball it with the wheel in the swing arm in the middle or towards the front a bit to verify before I remove links. I have a bunch of 520 o-ring links laying around if I goof it up anyway.

Thanks for all the input.:applause:

• Like 1

Yeah, I was just having a Sanford and Son moment.....trying to skimp when I'm this close to getting it done. Just tired of spending cash since this is the third of three dirt bikes that I'm going through over the off-season. :lol: I'm going to go with 13/52 and a new o-ring chain. I was thinking.....two more teeth will probably only require one more link, but I'll just eye ball it with the wheel in the swing arm in the middle or towards the front a bit to verify before I remove links. I have a bunch of 520 o-ring links laying around if I goof it up anyway.

Thanks for all the input.:lol:

I can almost relate. I've got two bikes that I'm going through myself, it can get to be a PITA sometimes, but that pain goes away on the first ride to follow. :applause:

Yeah, can't wait! Another week or two....maybe......first MX race is scheduled for the beginning of April. Not sure if I'll be racing that early, but I plan on riding before then!

And if the biggest complaint that I have is having three bikes to maintain then I should be thrilled (actually one is my son's bike, that still leaves two!). I saved the CR for last, I can't lose momentum now! Almost done. :applause:

I was surprised to find out how little difference gearing made on my bike. I went from a 13/48 to a 13/51 and really didn't notice much difference in overall feel except for slightly easier take off. I was expecting more peppy response down low, but really didn't notice it.

FWIW on my '03 (with '01 engine), I could run the 13/48 with the stock 114 link chain, but at 13/51 and I had to go to a 116 link chain to clear the chain guide. Don't know how that translates to an '01, but I think the overall dimensions are pretty similar. Also, running the 13/51+116 allows you to swap over to a 14 tooth front (14/51 is roughly equal to 13/48) with no other changes. And that's much easier than swapping the back sprocket and chain.

I was surprised to find out how little difference gearing made on my bike. I went from a 13/48 to a 13/51 and really didn't notice much difference in overall feel except for slightly easier take off. I was expecting more peppy response down low, but really didn't notice it.

FWIW on my '03 (with '01 engine), I could run the 13/48 with the stock 114 link chain, but at 13/51 and I had to go to a 116 link chain to clear the chain guide. Don't know how that translates to an '01, but I think the overall dimensions are pretty similar. Also, running the 13/51+116 allows you to swap over to a 14 tooth front (14/51 is roughly equal to 13/48) with no other changes. And that's much easier than swapping the back sprocket and chain.

skipn8r, you're right about the 13/48 - 14/51 ratios. They're 3.69 and 3.64 respectively. I'm surprised that your gearing change didn't make much discernable difference. When I changed gearing on my 94 from stock 13/49 to 13/51, it made a huge difference. I wonder if those two engines have big differences in the transmission ratios...

I wonder if those two engines have big differences in the transmission ratios...
I suspect they have the same tranny ratios. I didn't make any other changes and I was definitely expecting a more noticeable change. Also, I don't race, so I don't have any gear versus track location reference points to go by; just a plain ole seat-of the-pants dyno :applause:.
  • Like 1

14/53 was the the Popular set-up for your bike in 01. When my stock stuff wore out I used that set up on my 01 CR 250 & really liked it for moto & play riding. Then, when I would hit the trails, I'd put a 13 in front and it worked champ. Try it you'll like it...

14/53 was the the Popular set-up for your bike in 01. When my stock stuff wore out I used that set up on my 01 CR 250 & really liked it for moto & play riding. Then, when I would hit the trails, I'd put a 13 in front and it worked champ. Try it you'll like it...

Wow, Red...that's 4.08 gearing with the 13T front...I'll bet that sucker would climb a phone pole!

I suspect they have the same tranny ratios. I didn't make any other changes and I was definitely expecting a more noticeable change. Also, I don't race, so I don't have any gear versus track location reference points to go by; just a plain ole seat-of the-pants dyno :applause:.

Well, I stopped to think about it for a second. Hell, it could be any number of factors that could cause the difference in the reaction to the gearing change. It's not as if that's an honest apples to apples comparison. Although the 94 and 01 engines are essentially the same, figure in all the yearly tweaks and revisions to the engine, carburation, etc....plus I don't have the stock pipe. Just some overall tuning changes could make for completely different responses.

Wow, Red...that's 4.08 gearing with the 13T front...I'll bet that sucker would climb a phone pole!

Well, I stopped to think about it for a second. Hell, it could be any number of factors that could cause the difference in the reaction to the gearing change. It's not as if that's an honest apples to apples comparison. Although the 94 and 01 engines are essentially the same, figure in all the yearly tweaks and revisions to the engine, carburation, etc....plus I don't have the stock pipe. Just some overall tuning changes could make for completely different responses.

YEEEEE!