Sign in to follow this  

Applied clamps?

I needed top half of bar clamps for my tripple trees so I decided to just get a full Applied top clamp. I did this becasue RG3 does not make one for the 2000 KX250 by the way.

The stock 2000 KX250 top clamp has rubber mount and 2 bolts for bar clamps. The RG3 has brilliant 4 post Urethane mounts (as stated not available for 2000 KX250) and the Applied clamp has 2 bolts for bar clamps but is solid mount. Metal to metal contact.

I have to wonder, it seems to offer less performance than stock top clamps offer. I assumed it was a premium bit like the RG3. Assuming people do thier homework(like I did not do in this case) what is the point of the Applied top clamps? I admit I assumed here, I did not actually look at them closley. Is thier purpose to eliminate rubber mount flex? If so that makes sense. I guess I will just fill the bars with Silicone.

Forget the arrows and fork tubes, this in on my CRF230 but here is a look at my RG3's. Look at the posts and Blue Urethane on these. That is a set of clamps. Myabe I can call RG3 and have them made for the 2000 KX250.......

picture025medium5gh.jpg

I found the same thing when I got mine for my 04 250 set-up on my KDX.

The metal to metal thing boggled my mind too, I thought I ordered the wrong set. I've used them for awhile now and can't feel any difference.

I swapped out the stock rubber cones for the nice Applied urethane cones on the old KDX set-up cause the bars used to twist with the slightest impact.

I can't remember now if there was an option or not...?

Wait... the Applied bar clamps did not work well? Not nough clamping force? I noticed my clamps the did not fit the renthal bars well at all. I though I bought the wrong bar size at first.

I like the non-rubber top mounts, to my surprise. I found an applied top clamp on ebay, brand new for $25 plus shipping. I took a good spill the other day and my fatty bars didn't budge at all. I thought that the metal to metal would be really harsh but I don't notice it at all.

Now if I could only find the lower mount that cheaply to match the set.

Karl

Yeah I was lookig as well. I got the tops with pad for $50 new on Ebay. I look for matching bottoms now.

I like the idea of filling the bars with silicone though. That will kill vibration as well.

Wait... the Applied bar clamps did not work well? Not nough clamping force? I noticed my clamps the did not fit the renthal bars well at all. I though I bought the wrong bar size at first.

Everything works good on my set-up. I have the oversized Protapers and the clamps tightened up just fine. You did buy the right clamp size for your bars right?

I can't remember who makes them, but there are those dampening inserts for the bars if you think you need them.

You can find the dampers for bar vibration by googling BrakeSnake. I've used them and they work Great. If you have pro tapers they have a fluid that you pour in (it's not just silicone rubber, it's impregnated with lead or something). If you're vibration sensitive they're definately worth the money. Dwight