Sign in to follow this  

Possible stupid question- Smoker pipe

Bear with me, but I was just thinking about this.

THe pipe that is on my bike right now (02 CR250) is hideous. Its so ugly because of the rust. The dooface before me decided to leave water on the pipe after he cleaned it (or however he managed it) and the how bottom of the pipe is just rusted. Now, knowing me, it bothers me because it looks so ugly. The question is, can I glass bead blast it? I know the blasting will take off the Nickel or w/e coating is on there, but if I spray it with high temp clear coat, would that work? Or what if I cleaned it up on the wire wheel? What I'm trying to get at is what will hurt the pipe and what wont.

And before anyone says it- I have tried sand paper, steel wool, scotchbrite pads, every single polisher, every cleaner, simple green, toothbrushes, steel brushes, and it still won't come out.

Cudster, my friend...looks like an angle grinder with a wire wheel is in your future. Of course, you're not gonna have your nickel plating remaining no matter what method you use, the rust has surely already seen to that. You might make it fly by polishing the hell out of the area after wire wheeling it and then do the high temp clear coat. Heat cure that clear coat before riding it again!

Cudster, my friend...looks like an angle grinder with a wire wheel is in your future. Of course, you're not gonna have your nickel plating remaining no matter what method you use, the rust has surely already seen to that. You might make it fly by polishing the hell out of the area after wire wheeling it and then do the high temp clear coat. Heat cure that clear coat before riding it again!

I was thinking about taking it to the wire wheeler and trying that.

Whats heat treating? How do you do that?

Build a big fire and ...... Ooops wrong story sorry Cuds.

What the great soB is saying, Get it hot make sure it is dry (cured) before youi ride in the dirt :applause:

Build a big fire and ...... Ooops wrong story sorry Cuds.

What the great soB is saying, Get it hot make sure it is dry (cured) before youi ride in the dirt :applause:

Pre

Cisely.

I ran my pipe through two or three heat-up/cool-down cycles to make sure the finish was cured fully...

Personally, I'd bead blast the whole thing then paint it with high-temp black. After that, as suggested, I'd run it through some heat cycles to cure it. We used to just paint the "Works" pipes that came without any plating since they were such a PITA.

Well I did it today in auto class. I just took it to the wire wheel and just sat there getting as much rust off as I could. I then put it on the stand and just used a combination of brake clean, engine cleaner, and WD40, using 000 steel wool. It came out very nice. It looks brand new, other than the CAKED on stuff, but all around its polished and real nice! Thanks for the tips guys.

Personally, I'd bead blast the whole thing then paint it with high-temp black. After that, as suggested, I'd run it through some heat cycles to cure it. We used to just paint the "Works" pipes that came without any plating since they were such a PITA.

I did about the same to my PC non-plated pipe, only with the wire wheel and then used the clear coat engine paint. Looks much better...

No no no, S_K...the coke goes IN thepipe.....and the aluminum goes on your head to block out *those* signals/voices.

I did about the same to my PC non-plated pipe, only with the wire wheel and then used the clear coat engine paint. Looks much better...

When I rode a smoker I used some spray from the gun shop but I don't remember the name. It had a lot of Lanolin in it. After washing the bike down I would run the bike up and down the street to dry out and water in the nooks and crannies. I would wipe down the pipe once cool and spray the Lanolin stuff all over it, the pipe never rusted and I used to ride at Pismo beach about once a month. That stuff worked really well, gunsmiths use the stuff when storing guns, it neutralizes acids somehow.

No no no, S_K...the coke goes IN thepipe.....and the aluminum goes on your head to block out *those* signals/voices.

I thought they stole the the aluminum to get money to buy the crack to smoke in the pipe? I gotta go, the tin foil feel off the window and I think the CIA is trying to use that new laser thing to read my mind.........................

When I rode a smoker I used some spray from the gun shop but I don't remember the name. It had a lot of Lanolin in it. After washing the bike down I would run the bike up and down the street to dry out and water in the nooks and crannies. I would wipe down the pipe once cool and spray the Lanolin stuff all over it, the pipe never rusted and I used to ride at Pismo beach about once a month. That stuff worked really well, gunsmiths use the stuff when storing guns, it neutralizes acids somehow.

I know the stuff you're talking about, but I can't remember the name either....

I know the stuff you're talking about, but I can't remember the name either....

Try taking the tinfoil hat off ....that might help.:applause:

• Like 1

Try taking the tinfoil hat off ....that might help.:applause:

Man, I've been wearing it for so long I forget it's there...

Were talking about Exhaust not crackhead.gif

:lol::cry: :cry: :eek:

Did you guys enjoy yourselves? :p

You even drug dirtflea into the mix!! :applause:

The only inhaling of smoke that there is gonna be, is DR inhaling some 2 stroke smoke. :p

If you weren't all my Sonsa**** I'd take it personal. :applause:

Yeah, I bet that looks sweet and you don't have the maintenance hassles. Good idea. :applause: