Sign in to follow this  

VDR Hare Scrambles Race Report

Had the chance to participate in the hare scramble earlier today at Berthoud, CO. along with about 120 other riders.

Temps this morning were in the high 20s (yup, no typo here - it was a bit on the chilly side) Warmed up to the mid 30s by the 11 a.m. race start time and may have topped 40 by the end of the race.

The course was shortened to just under 4 miles due to some sections of the course still harboring major snow drifts, ice skating ponds on the downside of some jumps, and some gnarly mud that looked like it had swallowed a tractor... What was left of the course was plowed up with a few areas proudly displaying frozen dirt clods the size of concrete blocks.

:applause: So, the conditions were just about perfect for a first outing to check out a new ride. :applause:

I started (last) with the 2nd wave and took the first lap pretty easy, along with most of the others as we were learning the track changes for the first time... Of course, some "would-be pro" just had to pass me in a tight section, clipped my handlebar from behind hard enough to rip off my left handguard. Fortunatley, I kept it upright. I stopped and picked it up on the 2nd lap... Thought it my be reusable, but no such luck.

Riding a new CRF150RB, I really missed the torque of my CRF450R exiting corners, pulling the uphills, getting through the tilled up loamy stuff, blasting through axle-deep mud, or trying to get through the 2 whoop sections on the course... What is that? About 3/4 of the course?

About lap three, I was finally comfortable enough to start riding the little thumper more like a small 2-stroke and started picking off a few (very slow) riders here and there. I stopped on lap 3 to help out a mini pilot who had crashed exiting the 1st whoop section. I picked up his bike and got it off the course and waited for the medics to arrive before rejoining the "fun." Fortunately it only knocked the wind out of him. The break was an opportunity for me to pull another tear-off and blow my nose - so I really didn't mind taking the time.

I finally started getting into a rhythm and picked off a few other (very slow) riders (probably the same ones I passed before stopping to assist the mini rider)

On the positive side, I never crashed, and only stalled once (when I was following another rider through the scoring shoot and he got sideways leaving me nowhere to go.)

As the day warmed up, much of what was frozen at the start of the race began to thaw, making some of the sections a real adventure with gooey snot-like mud on top of ice... you get the picture.

I pitted for gas after lap 7 (I think) with 27+ miles on the computer.

On lap 7 or 8, I hooked my right leg in the mud on a right hand corner and tweaked my knee pretty good... I'm hoping it is just a sprain of the inside ligaments... Of course my Asterisk Cell knee braces were in my gear bag (stupid hurts!)

When the checkered flag fell, my computer showed 43.2 miles after 2 hours. (only 11 laps, I think)

I figure I picked up about 20 lbs of mud along the way and I am very glad I swapped out the stock top clamp for a Scotts top clamp and steering damper mount.

Here are a few post-race pics for your amusement...

Postrace150R.jpg

PostRace2-150R.jpg

And one after about 30 minutes of pressure washer time.

I coated much of the bike with "Future" floor polish (I have heard of others using "Mop & Glow) the night before the race because I knew it was going to be really muddy... Sure made the clean up much easier.

AllClean150R.jpg

Thanks, Pete & Crew!!!

JG

Hey my girlfriend just told me the same story. I guess you were the one to stop and help her with the mini rider. Sorry she did not have a tissue for you. Nice bike!

Hey my girlfriend just told me the same story. I guess you were the one to stop and help her with the mini rider. Sorry she did not have a tissue for you. Nice bike!

No problem at all...

Turned out I had a handkerchief tucked away in my jacket pocket.

The kid's bike was in the middle of the track, hidden from view just beyond the last of whoops. I didn't wan't someone landing on it and causing even more difficulties. Was she one of the gals taking pictures?

THANKYOU ALL FOR COMING OUT SUN,THE RACE WAS PRIMO FOR THE CONDTIONS,THOSE OF YOU WHO DID'T MAKE IT YOU MISSED OUT!!!!MUST HAVE BEEN A MANJINA INFECTION PROBLEM :lol::applause: :applause:

No problem at all...

Turned out I had a handkerchief tucked away in my jacket pocket.

The kid's bike was in the middle of the track, hidden from view just beyond the last of whoops. I didn't wan't someone landing on it and causing even more difficulties. Was she one of the gals taking pictures?

Yes she was the one running all over the place taking pictures. I think she did more laps than I did?

That was a fun race and one of the rougher tracks this year for sure. I thought I was in shape (hey round is a shape) until this morning. I am sore.

is a Manjina:excuseme:

"Manjina".......replace "man" with "va" and what do you get...._ _ jina. When you are a manjina it means your acting like you have no huevos.

I must have gotten the manjina infection, as I missed the hare scramble last weekend. I'm feeling better today though, so don't worry!

"Manjina".......replace "man" with "va" and what do you get...._ _ jina. When you are a manjina it means your acting like you have no huevos.

I must have gotten the manjina infection, as I missed the hare scramble last weekend. I'm feeling better today though, so don't worry!

$hit I must be getting old, I thought it was just so more bad spelling from Pete :applause:

Absolutely amazing (and predictable)

Take a perfectly good race report thread and turn it into a commentary on male & female body parts!! (pretty darn funny actually!)

:applause: :applause: :lol:

Thanks again, Pete, for all the work getting the course in shape. Some of the modifications and diversions around the really deep stuff were pretty fun to ride.

I had the course at just under 4 miles... Anybody else get a measurement?

And how many laps did some of you others get in? I felt like I got lapped about 4 or 5 times yesterday.

Cheers,

JG

I must have gotten the manjina infection, as I missed the hare scramble last weekend.

I actually have a good excuse: I stabbed myself in the hand with a screwdriver. So definitely not manjina since I was using a manly tool.

I did start my bike on Sunday though and quickly discovered that last time I did some work on the front end I forgot to tighten the bolts that hold the fork tubes in the tripple Ts. I think I'm lucky: I'll take a stabbed hand over a crash because of a loose fork...

Bruno.

$hit I must be getting old, I thought it was just so more bad spelling from Pete :applause:

DAVE ,IS MORE BAD GOODER OR BADDER ENGLISH:excuseme: :applause::lol:

Just drove by there on my way home from work. It is looking great. No snow or mud in sight. Rode there this past Monday and it was great. Should make for a GREAT weekend of riding. I am planning on riding there on Sat and Mon. Temp should be in the 40's, Sun in the upper 50's and by Mon should be close to 60..hope that helps.

I was riding on tuesday and it was slightly rough but the best it's been since the snow started. The north track however is pretty muddy still in spots. This weekend should be perfect.

I was riding on tuesday and it was slightly rough but the best it's been since the snow started. The north track however is pretty muddy still in spots. This weekend should be perfect.

Just a heads up, this weekend at VDR is SRAC motocross.

Just a heads up, this weekend at VDR is SRAC motocross.

THIS IS TRUE,BUT WE ARE OPEN IN THE REAR FOR PRACTICE:ride: :applause:

THIS IS TRUE,BUT WE ARE OPEN IN THE REAR FOR PRACTICE:ride: :applause:

So if we come in to ride with a season pass, do we have to pay on SRAC race day?