Sign in to follow this  

XR400 2nd ride

I bought my xr4 in november and boy was it beat. I got a really good deal on it so I figured I could spend a little to fix it up. I took it to the track when I first got it just to see how it performed. It was usable but bottomed over every little bump and smoked like a freight train. I started working on it and then the snow came so I kept on working on it. Here's a list of mods.

New plastics and graphics(a little bling bling)

White Bros ignition

New tires

Suspension shimstack mods front and rear

New fork springs

rejetted (other gordon mods were already done)

Lapped valves and new valve seals

New rings and hone job

I'm up to a little over $1600 into it now and boy what a difference. The snow melted enough to go back to the track and things are looking up. I can easily say the tires were the biggest difference because the old ones were so shot. I would put the fork springs at second, and everything else is hard to judge as I did it all at once. I did still bottom a few times a lap but I'm not too concerned and didn't spend any time adjusting as moto isn't my intended purpose for this bike. It's nice to know I can go ride the track when I get the urge since that is my first love. Now when the snow melts up high I can go hit the trails!!!!!!

Sounds awesome man. Sounds like the work in progress was really worth it. Why don't you post up a few pics of your bike all cleaned up?

I also got my bike started up today, threw the fatter pilot in and started up almost immediately and idled like a champ. Did a couple burns up and down the street and wow, what a difference a high flow baffle and pulled snorkel made.

I am almost in withdrawal waiting to go riding right now. My Dad was surprised how much of a difference the snorkel and baffle made. At least when he rode it he was mostly only wearing down the rear tire...

Hey you said you got a White Brothers ignition. Where did you get it, and how much? Thanks

I got it off ebay for $95 with shipping!! It was the first engine related part i got so I put it on and the bike definately started easier. I can't say as to performance gain as I didn't actually ride it until everything was done.