Sign in to follow this  

I had no idea there are so many...

So I just got a new bike and I am very excited to get back on the saddle. A few years back (from 2002 to 2004) I rode at Granite Falls (logging roads and trails) and Reiter Pit. I'm near Seattle and I'm looking for travel time less than 2.5 hours or so. I had no idea there are so many other tracks and trails! I've searched this forum for all the places to ride and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I thought I'd lay it out so you all can give me your recommendation on what would be the places for me to check out...

1) I've ridden tight trails in the past and I actually prefer a more wide open trail or area to ride

2) I checked out the pictures for Clay Peak and WOW that looks like exactly what I'm looking for, but I can't go to Idaho for a Saturday. Is there anything similar within a few hours of Seattle? I know the terrain is very different east of the mountains, but what's the closest option?

3) I'm not a good MX rider so I don't want to get in the way of people who are, but is there a well-groomed amatuer track around?

4) Money is not an issue so if the membership rate is high then I'm willing to pay for quality

5) The one thing I really don't like at all (I know a lot of people love this so I don't mean any disrespect) are tons of large rocks/boulders. I like riding on the dirt and some of the rocks/boulders at Reiter were not fun. I love dirt!

Thanks everyone!

It sounds like you need to wait for the Taneum, Naches and lake Wenatchee trail systems to open up. How about dune riding? Do you like sand?

Most wide open desert riding is going to have rocks here and there during a ride. Right now our Eastern Washington riding areas are under several inches of snow again. If you just like nice clean rock free dirt then a track may be the only thing for you. Tracks look fun to me except the jumps so I never ride them.

I'm sure you will find many riding opportunities. :applause:

I think pretty much everything on the west side of the mountains (With the exception of the tracks) is tight narrow rock and root infested trails. Unless you just want to ride the Forest Service roads.

Thanks for the info so far! This is my fault - I should have explained better in my first post...

I don't mind small rocks that will inherently be mixed with dirt or the occasional gravel area, it's trails that are mostly large rocks (like what you find on the bottom of a shallow river or stream) that don't interest me. The big slippery suckers that don't have much traction and then your bike goes down on a bed of 3-6 foot wide rocks. I guess I'm kind of a wimp and I like to keep my bike somewhat nice. When I went to Reiter in the past I hammered my rims and swingarm as the rocks dug into the rim lip and gouged my swingarm.

Has anyone seen the "Lock n Load" video produced by Travis Pastrana? There is a section of nothing but huge rocks where Jeremy McGrath has a nightmare of a time - this is the type of stuff I want to stay away from.

By the way I LOVE the dunes!

Thanks, and keep the advice coming!

Tehuya ORV park is awesome for trails, I to like the wider trails as you can go faster and its safer. Tehuya is about 1.5 hours from seattle. Its by belfair. Thats my favorite place to ride. Also Dairyland MX is a track that you can pay like 600 or 750 for a year membership. I heard its an awesome track, but i never been there.

Btrain, you WILL be blow away with the trail systems we have in the cascades ( like OMT said)...taneum, lake wenatchee, little naches , gifford pinchot. but they wont be accessable until the snow melts, maybe early june. in the MEANTIME, there is great riding at belfair ( like xracer says) reiter, and walker valley near mt. vernon. biggest of them would be belfair and i like it best. once we get to april 01, capitol forest near olympia opens ( another real nice area). so, to finish....you live in dirtbike heaven!

Joe

btrain...so what is your assessment so far? Where have you been? I wouldn't mind riding some of the stuff you are looking for as I have ridden in 19 years. I'm a fast lerner though.

David

Thanks for the info so far! This is my fault - I should have explained better in my first post...

I don't mind small rocks that will inherently be mixed with dirt or the occasional gravel area, it's trails that are mostly large rocks (like what you find on the bottom of a shallow river or stream) that don't interest me. The big slippery suckers that don't have much traction and then your bike goes down on a bed of 3-6 foot wide rocks. I guess I'm kind of a wimp and I like to keep my bike somewhat nice. When I went to Reiter in the past I hammered my rims and swingarm as the rocks dug into the rim lip and gouged my swingarm.

Has anyone seen the "Lock n Load" video produced by Travis Pastrana? There is a section of nothing but huge rocks where Jeremy McGrath has a nightmare of a time - this is the type of stuff I want to stay away from.

By the way I LOVE the dunes!

Thanks, and keep the advice coming!