Sign in to follow this  

chain rub?

Does your guy's chain rub on the inside of the frame next to the sub frame bolt?I tighted my chain and made sure the sprockets are in line.Not sure if it's doing it any more but do you have any rub marks?

u mean like the chain is rubbing along the button chain gaurd?...like near the linkage

yeah, mine does. I put a small peice of heavy duty velcro. works great and ahsnt fallen off. that was one of the first flaws I saw in the bike.

I like the velcro trick.I might just JB weld a piece of thick rubber to mine.I'm glad I'm not the only one.I thought I had my sprockets miss a linged.

mine does that too and I thougt that it was just me.

Does your guy's chain rub on the inside of the frame next to the sub frame bolt?I tighted my chain and made sure the sprockets are in line.Not sure if it's doing it any more but do you have any rub marks?

My KX450F-06 did exactly that when new. Also made loud cracking type noises too when coasting at low speeds. Problem was rear sproket alignment. All fixed now. Do two things to fix it. Ignore your rear axel positioning marks in your swing arm. Then "aim" your rear sproket more to the right. Once done, precise chain tension is not so sensitive/critical any more. Just by looking at it I could tell mine was not lined up. I put the left side axel forward about 3mm.

My KX450F-06 did exactly that when new. Also made loud cracking type noises too when coasting at low speeds. Problem was rear sproket alignment. All fixed now. Do two things to fix it. Ignore your rear axel positioning marks in your swing arm. Then "aim" your rear sproket more to the right. Once done, precise chain tension is not so sensitive/critical any more. Just by looking at it I could tell mine was not lined up. I put the left side axel forward about 3mm.

I bet your bike corners quicker in left corners than it does in right corners now. Why would you want to intensionally miss aline your back wheel.

PS Mine rubs to. I will probably jb something on there to protect the frame.

Keep it aligned. Improper alignment will cause excess wear to chain, sprockets, spokes, hub and etc..:applause: Fabricate something for the inside of your frame. Misinterpitation of chain slack/adjustments is a common problem.

yeah but it seems like it's every buddy so all of us aren't improperly aligned.

My 06 450 did it too... tightened the chain up and has been good since?

I bet your bike corners quicker in left corners than it does in right corners now. Why would you want to intensionally miss aline your back wheel.

PS Mine rubs to. I will probably jb something on there to protect the frame.

Nope. As far as I care, the rear wheel is now (intensionally) aligned. "Keeping it aligned" is the whole point. Putting sticky tape or whatever on the bolt boss and/or over tightening the chain are both band aid solutions. The returning chain links now move directly to the front sprocket. The axel position reference marks are not symmetrical on my bike. If I trust the axel marks, then my rear wheel aims left. Removing the chain and using a straight edge on the rear sprocket confirmed this. All good now. The bike enters and exits turns left or right no problem, and the subframe bolt boss is not getting butchered by the chain any more. It's a minor Kawi 450F-06 quality control issue.

the reason is the rear wheel alignment. The chain will roll off the top of the rear sprocket in the direction it's pointed. As it is redirected by the front sprocket, it whips and hits the frame

but it can also be the chain...the oem chain is wider than some aftermarket ones

What ever the case may be,That B/S :applause: up my bike! I went to remove the swing arm bolt and it barley came out,and not with out taking some threads out too.I'm Pissed!I think it was the threads on the bolt that are messed up and not the frame threads, cuz I ran the other bolt from the other side in and it tightened up.If both swing arm bolts are the same length

The one that got ground down is a quarter inch shorter.I was percise, so I thought, to be aligned and have proper chain tension.I mighta been so paranoid about this happening that I over tightened my chain.We went out to the dezz for four days and I kept an eye on the chain slack.Everything was good untill the last day we went on a fifty mile ride and got back to camp and the chain was lose and more damage happened.I'm bummed out!

So, needless to say,I have to go to the dealer and order a new bolt cause

things like that are never in stock.I heard that the stock chains are junk so I ordered a new chain(D.I.D 520 ERT 2) and rear sprocket (47 tooth) looking for a little more top end.I also think that I'm gonna point the rear sprocket a little towards the right like numroe suggest.If I recall when I first got the bike

it was offset and I was thinking,Wow! how come the adjusting blocks were off?Maybe for a reason.And last but not least,I'm gonna JB weld some heavy duty plastic to the inside of the frame.

Other then that,40 Hrs on the 07 and no problems.Got one full week to do in Arizona,an easy 30hrs and it will be time for a piston.

TWS.