Sign in to follow this  

2001 YZ250 Stuck in Gear

Gentlemen I need some help.

Took the son to Glamis this weekend, but had problems. During the ride his bike wouldn't shift. No click feeling when pulling up or pushing down on the shift lever. Took the clutch basket out and found that item #10 was missing.

01YZ250NB11.gif.

However if you look close at the picture there is like a dowel pin that it slides on. That dowel is also missing. Oh yeah when I say missing, I mean his bike ate it and there is no sign of it. No metal residue in the oil or in the bottom of the case.

Can someone explain if that is indeed a dowel that is missing? If so how come parts list doesn't show it?

Or does part#10 actual look different?

Either way I will pull the motor and split the case. Just so I can locate missing pieces.

Just wanted to update you all.

Pulled the motor and was turning it upside down and shaking it trying to get the dowel pin to fall out. No luck. Then my brother and I decided to tap on it with a dead blow hammer while it was upside down. He kept turning the input shaft and a broken piece of the hat fell out. Then we kept going and the gears locked up. We hit it some more and the dowel pin came tumbling out. Lucky me, I didn't have to split the case. We put it all back together and it runs great.

Thanks Bro for helping me out.

Hammers will get any job done! lol. I'm having trouble with shifting on my CR250, I'm going to check to see if it's the same problem you're having.

Little brothers are good for something I guess. Shoulda used your sons head to beat on the motor while we had it upsidedown though. I think we would have got a better faster result. :bonk:

Little brothers are good for something I guess. Shoulda used your sons head to beat on the motor while we had it upsidedown though. I think we would have got a better faster result. :bonk:

WOW can you tell that is my 1st post well 2nd and now 3rd. I guess I should stick to operating a hammer instead of a keyboard :bonk:

:bonk: Imagine thats me hammering the little punk in the head.

Looks like Yamaha realized that dowel pin was a potential problem and now it's machined as part of the piece now.

Actually, I guess I should be thanking you for actually getting my fat butt back into riding.

Let's go riding this weekend:ride: , hopefully you'll be able to keep up. Since your bike is so slow.:naughty: