Sign in to follow this  

Put rear wheel . Is this right?

This is my spare swing arm. It is a 99. I put on the Talon wheel for a test fit. The brake lines up fine but the wheel is not centerd in the swing arm. It does not interfere with the swing arm although the pics look like it (it is a perspective thing). the differeence in centering is clear though. It is an 18" rim.

picture001smallqh9.jpgpicture002smalley3.jpg

Yeah, It looks to have a serious offset problem. I'm assuming that the spacers are correct since it lines up with the brake?

Well they were reersed. One was 1mm longer. It helped by 1mm. The sprocket lines up with the chain rubber guards/guide at the other end of the swing arm.

I betthis is not a 99 KX wheel. Ebay.:applause:

Well my front wheel is offset 5mm to much with my talon.. but i just left it alone since its not that bad. But with what you have going on there, you need to loosen all the spokes on the one side, tighten the other and keep doing that untill you are centered. You will either end up with a well centered wheel or run out of adjustment on the spokes, which ever happens first.

So if the hub lines up with the disk and chain then it is likley the right hub? This is likley an adjustment issue then?

Updated pic.

picturehg8.jpg

Ok.. this might sound stupid, but do you have the adjusters set up on that swingarm? it looks crooked.

Well no..... but I lined up the blocks on the back of the swingarm. I put them on correctly for the second pic thinking it may make a diffrence but it is just like in the above pic. The crookedness is an perspective thing. The camera is not great.

Well no..... but I lined up the blocks on the back of the swingarm.

Ok.. well as long as you have the axle set up straight according to the markers. If your disk lines up correctly with the caliper and the axle and everything works then I say its probably the right one. Does this hub have the wheel spacers built into it? Does the disk turn freely through the caliper? I have seen people install the bearing spacers in backwards causing an offset... but then the disk doesn't turn freely in the caliper.

The hub has removable spacers. One is 1mm longer. I correctd it in the last pic I posted. It helpes 1mm.

Oh yeah, the wheel turns freely alright and a straight edge lines up the chain wear marks on the rubber chain guide with the sprocket.

This is likley an adjustment issue then? If it were not KX would it still line up with the brake and sprocket? The axle is definitly the right size.

The hub has removable spacers. The wheel turns freely alright.

This is likley an adjustment issue then? If it were not KX would it still line up with the brake and sprocket? The axle is definitly the right size.

Well you can't know the sprocket lines up until you have it on the bike, but to me it looks crooked in the swingarm. Are your positive that your markers are straight in that picture? If it wasn't a kx wheel, I doubt the alxe, spacer and brake alignment would work out. If you have the wheel mounted straight in the swingarm, and everything else is right... you need to adjust your spokes.

*edit* never mind about the crooked thing then... I just seen your above post LoL.

Well yeah I can kind of tell. My chain guide had pertty deep grooved. Lining up a straignnt edge shows pretty good alignment. Point is it is close. It is not off in left field. This was freaking hard to do with 2 hands lol.

Oh see that blue bin, that is the bike in there.

picture004cf1.jpg

Ok... so the chain alignment is pretty good and the rear brake is correct. So spoke issue then it looks like. Perhaps the 01 swingrm will be a bit different. It is at the machine shop getting chopped.

Well they were reersed. One was 1mm longer. It helped by 1mm. The sprocket lines up with the chain rubber guards/guide at the other end of the swing arm.

I betthis is not a 99 KX wheel. Ebay.:applause:

E, the stock 99 KX250 wheel is a 19 inch. Wasn't sure if you were aware of that or not.

Karl

Yeah sure was brotha. That is the big reason I bought this. The bike I am building an a KX, it has a KDX motor. So it is an offroad bike not an MX bike. the 18" seems favorable for offroad. The CRF250 and 450 come with 18" as well compared to the MX'ers with 19 inchers.

The extra room in the swingarm makes for paddle tire clearance as well. Muahahaha!

Yeah sure was brotha. That is the big reason I bought this. The bike I am building an a KX, it has a KDX motor. So it is an offroad bike not an MX bike. the 18" seems favorable for offroad. The CRF250 and 450 come with 18" as well compared to the MX'ers with 19 inchers.

The extra room in the swingarm makes for paddle tire clearance as well. Muahahaha!

That is going to be one sweet ride when it's done!

Is the 18" wheel better because it's got less spin than a 19" and is easier to make more torquey in the tight stuff?

Karl

That is going to be one sweet ride when it's done!

Is the 18" wheel better because it's got less spin than a 19" and is easier to make more torquey in the tight stuff?

Karl

The 18" advantage is sidewall height, it has more than a 19 incher. This means more meat to absorb impact with rocks and roots and such, helping prevent pinch flats and dented rims.

Ahhh, I didn't know about the sidewall height! So does the higher sidewall on the 18" make up for the inch difference in size? It's measure radially, right, like center of hub to rim?

What 18" rim/spoke/hub/ sprocket assemblies fit the KX's? One's off of KLX's?

Karl

If the tire is 100/90 then the trie is 100mm wide and has as aspect ratio of 90% with or the width is 90mm. a 110/90 would be 99 mm tall. I was not aware the side wall height as affected by the rim. I thought is was all about the aspect ratio which was a perfentage of the width.

Most 18" tires have an aspect ratio of 100, where as most 19" tires have an aspect ratio of 90. So yes, technically is is an aspect ratio thing, but it tends to go hand in hand with the rim size.