Sign in to follow this  

shoes or boot

it hard for me to ride with boot but it is really easy for the shifting when i wear shoes but if i crash or fall i need the protection for my foot need help:excuseme:

maybe u need to break in ur boot..i wouldn't ride with shoes, maybe if im warming up the bike around the field b4 i go onto the track...its just something u have to get use to...

You don't need help, you need boots.

Good, purpose-built, non-cheap mx type boots. I know guys who have skimped by buying cheap boots, or not buying boots at all, and they now have to deal with their poor judgement for the rest of their lives.

Be smart. Do your homework, gather all the info and opinions you can from this and other various forums' search features and make an informed purchase. And spend as much as you can absolutely afford to spend. One of the best investments you'll ever make.:applause:

Edit: Sorry, I misread your original post and thought you were trying to decide if you should buy boots or not....my bad. :applause:

• Like 2

Although they are a bit expensive, I reccommend the following:

Gaerne SG10 - $325ish

Sidi Crossfire - $425ish

Both boots have the hinge at the ankle, which allows for superior movement and control with excellent lateral ankle protection. Once you try these boots, you'll think anything else is junk.

I agree with the Gaerne SG10. Most comfortable boot right out of the box I've ever tried. Little to no break in time. Got mine here.

http://www.derbycycles.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?cart_id=7479897.17126&pid=2500&product=Gaerne_Boots&count=1

I agree with buying the best you can afford, or even "better" than you can afford at the time.

you could allways go with the rider gear that dummies wear at bike week: flip flops, shorts, wife beater tee, and no helmet! but on the serious side, there is no way in hell i would ride without boots. just buy a decent set and break them in. after time you want even know you got them on .

BOOTS, Boots, boots. You want boots.

I don't even like test firing the engine in the driveway with just shoes on. I've had the kick starter run back up my shin one to many times. I'll at least put the right boot on just to test fire.

If you can't afford the MX boots the other guys have mentioned above at least wear a heavy soled hiking boot but save up for a real MX boot.

I've had the kick starter run back up my shin one to many times.
When I first started riding I wore work boots and on one particularly muddy day I slipped off the kick starter three separate times and gouged my shin in the exact same place each time. Have you ever seen a grown man cry? (well, nearly :applause: )
I suggest that for you to try the Thor Quadrant youth. OR the Alpinestar Tech4S .

Dwight

So I took this advice and got the Tech 4. On my first ride with them I smashed my foot into a boulder. Although it was pretty badly bruised, I'm sure they saved it from being broken. I suggest you take this advice also.

So I took this advice and got the Tech 4. On my first ride with them I smashed my foot into a boulder. Although it was pretty badly bruised, I'm sure they saved it from being broken. I suggest you take this advice also.

They probably did save you some broken bones. A friend of mine was riding in hiking boots, looped his bike over onto himself and the footpeg came down on top of his foot, breaking a couple of metatarsals. That was just a couple weeks before Christmas...can you guess what his most important present was on Christmas morning?!

i had thor quadrants and didnt like them so i got the new and improved a-star tech 4 (tech 3) and i love em totaly waterproof, no breakin time it seemed and i toe kicked a rootball on the first ride with them and hardly felt it best $ ive spent all year

Thor has a 50/50 boot, but I don't know if its any good.

http://thormx.com/Product.jsp?product_path=1270-1291

I like my Thor 50/50 boot as long as I'm not doing the type of riding where I put my foot out in turns (i.e., not for MX racing, IMO). They give better protection that hiking boots, yet easy control of shifting and you can walk quietly and for miles when necessary (unlike full MX boots).

Check sandhillspowersports.com for the price and availability.

http://www.sandhillspowersports.com/sandhills/OnlineStore.do?DSP=200&PCR=1:1:102&IID=thor_5050boots_07

I like my Thor 50/50 boot as long as I'm not doing the type of riding where I put my foot out in turns (i.e., not for MX racing, IMO). They give better protection that hiking boots, yet easy control of shifting and you can walk quietly and for miles when necessary (unlike full MX boots).

Check sandhillspowersports.com for the price and availability.

http://www.sandhillspowersports.com/sandhills/OnlineStore.do?DSP=200&PCR=1:1:102&IID=thor_5050boots_07

I've checked those out, they're interesting. A set of chinguards would be in order when wearing them.

I've checked those out, they're interesting. A set of chinguards would be in order when wearing them.

(Grits teeth)....Don't do it, don't do it, don't do it, don't do it....

Hmmm??? What do you plan on sneaking up on? The nudist colony just over the Ridge?