Sign in to follow this  

Dissappearing Clutch

Hi everybody , went for a ride on the weekend , a couple of hundred klm's fire trail , single track type stuff and was about 130klm's into the ride and we were on a long tight single track with not much in the way of a breeze and came across a log crossing with short landing area on the other side and went to pull in the clutch for a bit of control as to not stall after crossing the log and nothing. Lever came all the way into the bars. i then stalled and fell off. No injuries. But the clutch has me baffelled . After getting out of the tigh stuff and back onto trail i let bike cool and checked fluid levels and they were fine. has anyone else had this issue of fluid boiling and what type of fluid do you use. After bike cooled down it was back to normal. there wasnt a lot of clutch work apart from logs and a few rocks and bike wasnt boiling or showing any signs of over heating. :applause: Thanks in advance .

Yes I've had the same problem, I blead it and it still did it when doing heavy bogs and getting really hot but I've never had the engine boiling, (its too cold in England)

I drained the system and flushed it with new Putoline Mineral clutch oil using a syringe on the bleed nipple, It seems to have fixed it and 6months later still OK! feels smoother n lighter :applause:

The original oil was in for 2 years, I wont leave that long in future,:applause:

Another trick before you change the oil, is to place your new oil in the refridgerator (spelling?) and cool it right down. Then use it to change the oil, as it will not mix with the old as easily.

Here's some things I've experienced running synthetic Dot 4. Theoretically mineral oil doesn't absorb water, in the real world a correlation can be drawn between number of hours usage and diminished performance. Bottom line either way, change the fluid.

----------------------------

A high quality synthetic Dot 4 brake fluid such as Golden Spectro Supreme has a 30~F higher boiling point than standard Dot 4 and a 45~F higher boiling point than Dot 3.

A 4% by weight water concentration in your clutch fluid lowers the boiling point about 90~F. Brake fluid wet* and dry boiling points vary widely. Extreme heat in combination with hydroscopically compromised brake fluid can excede the wet boiling point. Altitude, like water, also lowers the boiling point (typically 30~F at 5000').

* Wet boiling points are defined as having a 3% concentration of water.

thanks everyone , some handy tips indeed. I did change oil approx 6 weeks ago and thought i had bleed it properly , hadnt had any symtems until the weekend just gone, but i will drain and redo again.Thanks again.