Sign in to follow this  

2008 Models (the FI question and debate)

June 1st is when they release the infomation. You will see some models by August/September

Erik

I got my 07' R model about 2 weeks after release. I think it was early July right after I got healed up from a dislocated shoulder I got at the end of may.

Ditto.... They have a big convention for the dealers somtime in june and the bikes show up in Aug. - Sept.

Thanks

I am considering getting a 06 450X, but I wanted to know if I should wait until the 2008 comes out and buy an 07.

I HIGHLY doubt it... and SURELY hope not.

:applause:

No worries, Im hearing Most def NO FI for 08'

I am NOT looking forward to FI on offroad bikes, I think that once it becomes a reality those that think it going to be so cool will be singing a different tune.

I HIGHLY doubt it... and SURELY hope not.

QUOTE=Dust_Devil;4433502]No worries, Im hearing Most def NO FI for 08'

I am NOT looking forward to FI on offroad bikes, I think that once it becomes a reality those that think it going to be so cool will be singing a different tune.

Just curious why you guys think FI is going a bad thing.

That is one of the reasons I am waiting to buy a X

No worries, Im hearing Most def NO FI for 08'

Just curious why you guys and others think FI is going a bad thing.

That is one of the reasons I am waiting to buy a X

I didn't personally say it's a bad thing. However, it truely isn't for everyone.

Like most situations... change is good, however only for the majority. Personally... I don't want more eletro gadgets. Mechanical is better for me, and my needs.

Can you specifically tell us all how well the FI works in bad weather conditions, extreme situations... and on the trail?! (just throwing it out there... as I don't think FI is tried and true for anything but closed course, again... this is my ignorant and biased opinion :applause:)

It will have a fuel /ignition map that is CARB approved (read: very lean and corked like a stock X) If changing the map is even an option you will need some sort of computer that costs way more than a JD kit or other re-jetting option.

You might not even be able to add aftermarket pipes, cams....ect if the bike comes with FI...not without re-mapping. and if re-mapping is not an option your screwed, Im sure CARB wants to see FI bikes so it can have a further stronghold on the bike market.

Mark my words.

FI has been on road bikes for years, they pretty much got it down. I can tell you (my Harley has FI) that having to make adjustments to the carb when riding in diff elevations will be a thing of the past.

They have had FI on some quads now for over a year too, haven't heard anything bad about them. And I can also tell ya that after the sticker shock of a Power Commander style ignition kit, actual mapping the bike is more simple than making a post here on TT.

I however, am with Johnny, I like mechanics, not electronics. I don't much understand electronics because I cannot see how they work with my eyes, it's all theory. I'd rather turn the bolt then program a computer to turn it for me.

The thing I would be worried about is the vibrations and jolts a FI unit would take being on one of these bikes. Then again, I don't think Honda would release it if it wasn't tried and true already.

A buddy of mine swears up and down that they already are running them in Japan... Dunno if that's true or not though.

Thanks DD and JA for your responce I am planing on getting and X in the Summer / Fall of 08 and I just wanted to see what your thoughts were on FI.

One thing is for sure it is going cost more money to purchase and tune the bike.

Thanks Again

That's actually pretty funny... as I've read it, ohhh... some years ago.

How about yourself? read it?

Actually not yet, I'm aware of the concept of the book though. I'm probably waiting till I start to close my mind off, it's like backup for me, lol. Right now I'm still pretty open to most things.
  • Like 1

Read the newest issue of Dirt Bike Magazine it has a CRF250F That is a Euro GP FI Bike . Every test rider from the Dirt Bike crew said they would prefer the kiehen Carb over the FI Works GP bike . Don't believe me read it for yourself. I'm willing to bet that you will be looking more at 09'-10' before you see a production FI CRF 250 or 450. I myself prefer the two-stroke style hit I get from my 05' CRF450X with the Kiehen Carb,JD Jet Kit,Boyesen Quick shot,O-Ring Mod&Airbox Mod Just the sides.:thumbsup: They said FI is like a Electric car It has no hit it is just Blah.:worthy: