Sign in to follow this  

What's the difference between the 125sx years?

Well i'm looking at getting an '03 125sx with a few parts on it. I was wondering though, what are the differences in the new models? I know the frame is a little stronger in the 04+..

im sorry i dont know much about the difference exsept what u said and the plastic but my 03 125sx is a very good bike very dependable if that helps:thumbsup:

The '03 had a rr shock that kicked up or blew rapidly through the stroke. In '04, it didn't get any better, as KTM stuck in a top out spring, which made it really hard to set the rr sag if your springs aren't perfect. The '04 forks got a 3rd bushing thrown in, making the forks worse than ever. In '05, the frame changed up, but the shock in the back still kicked around too much. THe forks went back to the 2 bushings, and that corrected whatever locking problems were caused by the 3rd bushing.

Motor wise, the '03-'05 were pretty much the same throughout.

The really big change occurred in '06, with a new needle in the shock that pretty much corrected the abrupt transition from the primary to secondary piston of the shock, making it much smoother and more plush. Internally, The forks got coated w/ kashima coatings. OUtside, the fork tubes got black color.

The motor, however, is the jewel. It's is a copy of the SX-S motor that Twyla Rattray rode to win the GP. More torque on the bottom, and more snap in the midband, while keeping the same crazy overrev. New pipe, new silencer, new CDI makes the motor's throttle response smoother and quicker revving. The buzz with the '06 125sx is that it puts out close to 40 hp. :applause: