Sign in to follow this  

Quicksilver - Your Story ?

I was on the fence wether or not to race the Quicksilver for the last week. Two of my riding buddies wanted to do the race and I said I would do it if the weather and conditions were perfect - sunny with great traction. I desided to go riding on Sat. with my son at Hollister - figuring I was not going to do the race - but I was getting some presure and name calling from my buddies. So last night I desided to do the race.

I have never been so unprepared for a race - I usually over prepare. My bike was muddy from Hollister - had a dirty air filter and so on.

Left at 5:30 in the rain and only saw a few min. of sun the whole day. We did not pre reg. so we were on Min. 108:banghead: !! The only time during the race that it wasn't raining was at the start and about 10 min. in it started raining and didn't stop.

The start was cool - a up hill mud fest. We had 6 riders on our min. so I grabbed the whole shot to avoid getting pelted by 5 other bikes. We soon entered some pretty tight and muddy single track - barely into the race and guys stalling - sliding out and pulled over on the side of the trail trying to recoop. Due to the conditions and the traffic on the trails my arms were getting tired fast and It was hard to find time to get my wind back. I had no idea we were on a special test section - like I said - just came along for the ride and not prepared for this race. Part way through this section I starting thinking I needed to save my energy for the special test section coming up - wrong .:eek:

Conditions were very good for it being raining. I was having a ball and looking forward to the rest of the day of riding. To my surprise there were many log jams - one , on the 3rd special test section we were waiting at least 25 min. - it was crazy. When we got up to that section we just rode right up it. I really figured that it being a Nation Enduro and the conditions were so nasty that there would be more experianced racers on the course compared to a reg. D 36 enduro - no so. None of the sections we made it to were that technical but plenty of guys stuck or layed out on the course.

The course lay out was awesome !!!:applause: Very fun with a lot of dif. terrain. My new 250 xcf-w was so much fun to ride !!!!!! I was lucky and never took a soil sample today - but came close to some good high speed get offs. Made lots of passes on up and down hill sections. Visibility got to be very limited with all the rain. Lots of guys were riding without goggles. I tried it for a few min. until I got smacked in the face with a pine tree and had water and mud all over my face and in my eyes. That was it - I pulled my goggles back on - with as much mud in them as there was on the outside. There were sections that I rode were looking through my goggles was like having vasiline smeered all over them - it was a sloppy section and I was hitting things on the trail I didn't even see.:p

Everyone on the trail seemed to be having a great time and not letting the weather get to them - making the best out of it. :applause:

I only had one good battle with a guy on the min. before me. I came up on him on a single track and he picked it up some. We were riding at a good pace so I just followed for awhile until he started dropping his clutch on that 2 smoker out of the turns and pelting the shit out of me with mud. I wanted to stay close so I could make a pass at some point and payed the price. He made a mistake and I got buy and went hard to put some distance between us - not before dropping my clutch hard once though - pay back !! LOL I got to a open area and my goggles were a mess and I missed a turn - when I doubled back the same guy had just dropped into another single track section ahead of me and the game began all over again.

The worst section that I rode was coming back down into the Ramblers property at gas. Man it was slippppppery clay and lots of guys falling.

I rode back to our truck for gas and I was going to change all of my clothes - I was soaked and had gone though 2 pairs of gloves as well. My ride partners had not made it back to the truck yet so I gas up and ate something while waiting for them. I wasn't sure if they were going to be up for the 2nd loop so I stayed with the truck. My buddy Gino showed up about 15 min. after I did with the sleeves torn off of his rain jacket - the cheep, clear type. He was going to change his gear and be ready to go. My other buddy, Mike came in about 10 min. after Gino and stated he was not going back into that stuff !! :D:p The guy parked next to us came in and said he made it to the next check and he was houred out - he was 2 min. ahead of our min - which ment we had houred out !! I really wasn't paying any attention to the time - I set my computer but never looked at it all day - no need with the new rules ! So I looked at my computer and it sowed we were late by 1 hr.

So that was it - done for the day. We rode for ~3 hrs. and 32 miles. :mad: Gotta say we were all more tired than we thought. I helped the guy next to us figure out what the numbers on his card ment. It didn't dawn on me/us until we were having dinner and drinking Margaritas and looking at out score cards that we DID NOT HOUR OUT !!!!!!:lol::cry: :cry: The guy next to us only made it to check 5 and houred out at 6. The check at gas. We were on our way to check 7 - after gas. My computer milage did not roll over to mile 33. ? where we would have had a 35 min. free time - which ment I was only 1 min. off my min. when I pulled into gas.:lol::D Like I said - not to prepared for this race !!:p We would have been about 30 min. off our min. after we got changed I guess . I guess there is always next year to redeem ourselves. With our late start time we would have been back to our truck around 5:00 pm if we went back out for the second loop - could have been pretty cold by then.

All in all - a very fun day. I'm really glad I made it to my first Nation and will be back - again - great course !! BIG FUNNNNNNNNN !!

Guys that rode the 2nd loop - what did we miss?? Tougher - easier ? Lets hear it !!

Ride On

dp:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Okay, so here's my Quicksilver story, I only finished the first loop:

Conditions: Rain, Snow, and every kind of trail condition imaginable (loam, mud, rocks, oatmeal mush, black grease, etc).

I pre-entered and got #71A, the first row of the ""C" class, well actually they put one guy on row 70, and five guys on the rest of the "C" rows .... :applause: .... , but being at the front of the "C"s was great, no bottlenecks, AND I DIDN"T BECOME ONE! :cry:

Took off from the start, of course it started really raining again just before we left the line, but I was doing pretty good until we got into that first singletrack section. I think I just had a bit too much adrenalin going and put myself in the bushes a couple of times :lol: , nothing serious, and not even really all the way off the trail, but it did slow me down and let a few riders by. I finally settled in and was feeling pretty good when I came to the only minor bottleneck I saw all day. We were running along a ridge and there was a short hillclimb with some big rocks at the top. There were three guys stuck at the rocks and no way around them. I waited while one guy came back down and blasted up and over again, going right between the other two guys that were stuck. I took off on the same line and found that the reason there was a gap between those two guys was that there was a good sized boulder there :p . I gassed it hard and got the front wheel over it before I stalled, looked at the guy on my right and said 'great, now I'm part of the bottleneck":banghead: . That didn't last long though, I got off the bike, hit the e-start, hammered the clutch and popped it the rest of the way over that boulder and headed on down the trail. :applause:

Things went really smooth after that until about half way through the second test section. I made a wrong turn, overshooting a right turn going down a hill, hitting a trail just past the one I was supposed to turn on, and ended up going down the tightest trail of the day. Well I couldn't turn around, so I took it to the bottom where it joined another trail, and there were arrows pointing to the left. :p Alright, back on course ...... OH SHIT, I crashed hard making the turn onto that trail and bunged up my shoulder :eek: . Just before I made the wrong turn a guy from row 75 had passed me, well when I got back on trail the arrows pointed back up a hill, and when I got to the top I could see arrows pointing in both direction. :lol: I sat there for a minute before a rider passed by me coming from the left, and his number was 81. Evidently the trail I had come back up the hill on was a loop 2 trail, but I turned right to follow the 81 guy and was back on course. When I got to the next check I found that I had put on almost an extra 3 miles. :D

The rest of the loop was pretty good, no bottlenecks, just pain in my shoulder when going through whoops or braking chop. :D I actually thought that the hardest part of that loop was getting down the hill back into the staging area. It was snotty, slick, off-camber, and everyone was coming down with their outriggers out. I almost went down several times, but did make it on two wheels, although there were a lot of guys that didn't. :p

Because of my shoulder I called it quits at gas, which really pissed me off :mad: ......... at least until I heard how bad the second loop was. I think I made the right decision, now I just have to find out if the shoulder is going to be well enough for the Wild Boar in two weeks. :cry:

Rode on minute 2.

Missed a turn in the first test and lost at least 3 minutes of time.

Second test went pretty good but the whoops on the test killed me. Convinced me to make some clicker adjustments before the third test.

The third test went well. I was finally starting to feel good. The adjustments to the suspension saved my azz.

The fourth test (first out of gas) was going very well. I was finally starting to feel like I should be there. I got around all the guys on minute one and was the first racer on the course. No bottlenecks for me (yeah, there were bottlenecks in the As too). ....but it all fell apart for me about a mile before the checkout. My throttle grip started slippin under my hands. I had no throttle. My day was DONE!!! I was bummed, because I was just starting to have a real good time in that muddy mess.

As of this morning my bike is still at mile 66.2 on the course (the pond). My front fender is at mile 10.5. I'm in south orange county trying to wake up.

I had a nice long hike through woods pondering what life would be like if I didn't ride these crazy events. I know this: Moto boots suck as hiking boots.

I still am up in the air about the new format. Houring out is houring out, no matter how you look at it.

As of this morning my bike is still at mile 66.2 on the course (the pond).

My A rider friends told me how many guys were stuck on the last ten miles of the A/B split either out of gas, blown up bikes, or exhaustion. The sweepers had their work cut out for them yesterday. I hope nobody had to spend the night out there.

The first loop was easy compared to the 2nd. Plus the fact that we had 70 pound of mud still stuck to the bike as we started the 2nd loop. I was disapointed about houring-out due to the bottle necks... but I was so tired I was also a little relieved. Had to stop several times just to catch my breath. :applause:

My A rider friends told me how many guys were stuck on the last ten miles either out of gas, blown up bikes, or exhaustion. The sweepers had their work cut out for them yesterday. I hope nobody had to spend the night out there.

I started out on minute 94. The first test was quite a rude awakening. I stopped a couple times in the singletrack to let guys by. I'm used to having a bomb run and couple miles afterwards to warm up before anything like that. Halfway through the first special I started feeling better, but I kept getting plagued by bottlenecks. I houred out by 2 minutes at check 4.

I was surprised how well my CR did in the mud. A bunch of people had told me they felt sorry for me riding a CR500, but it was a champ.

dp400, sounds like you were parked 2 cars over from me.

Ok here is my story,

I get to the ramblers property around 3pm. Mistake #1 I had a 31ft RV and all the good parking spots were taken. Looking back I should have gotten there at 6am so I drive around and find a spot back in the trees, So I get the RV turned around and start to back in. Well it is kinda off camber but the dirt is dry so I make it. Had to go through 1 mud puddle but no promblem. Mistake #2. The Forcast was for a SLIGHT CHANCE of showers. So I get leveled out and my buddy who followed me up get unloaded. I was thinking cool I got lucky.

So we head over to signups and we are way back in row 97. So I was thinking thats cool. At least the ground wont be frozen when we take off. So we go to bed around 10 with a clear sky. At 2:30 The rain woke me up. I was pissed but it was light rain, no big deal. Went back to sleep. I wake up in the morning and seen that t had poured and it was still raining. Now my only way out of this hell hole was a slippery off camber muddly as hell path. So I was stressed out the minute I got up. So we get ready and head to the start. So we take off. I was third off the line being pelted my mud. I get by one of the guys before we get into the single track section. Get through that and come up on bottleneck #1. 4 guys scattered on the top of the hill. So I find an alternate path to the left and take it. Cool through that mess. Then bottle neck #2 was a simple up hill single track with a tree root. What the hell is wrong with you people. Dont you know you need momentium to get over tree roots???. Guys are sitting there spinnig. Finally get through that and I am geting more pissed that these riders are having such a hard time.

I get to bottle neck #3 it was in the 3rd test section, an rocky uphill. there were 10 guys up on the hill. Bikes were over heating smoking. There was another 10 of us waiting so I wait my turn thinking my race is over. Then these 2 KTMs that were behind me decide they didnt want to wait so they try it. NOPE! Didnt make it. So I said screw this I was going to wait my turn untill these jerks decided it was there turn now. So I start going up. Stop half way waited for the carnage to clear and motored through. Now I more pissed. There was nothing hard about that hill and my race is ruined because guys didnt know how to hill climb. So I start oing and I notice my clutch is slipping. Crap. By the time I get to the end of the test My clutch is just about gone. So I ask the workers how far till gas. They said it was right down the hill that I could coast down. Yea right coast down on my back. That was some of the nastiest mud I have ever been in. Like riding on Ice. So I make it to gas and call it quites. My buddy shows up about 10 minutes later.

So we pack up and start think how the hell we are getting this RV out. In the mean time Some guy parked his truck and trailer right in the middle so if I start slidding I will go right into him. So with my buddy and my wife directing me so I can hug the tree to my left and stay on the high side of the path. I make it 10 feet and get stuck, So I go reverse to drive a few times and regain traction. As i start going I feel the rear of the RV pitching to the right, so I floored it and some how pulled it out. I had 10 guys standing around watching thinking I was going to slide in that other truck. So I finally made it out of there. I was so happy I was on the main road and headed home. It was fun, but not something I would want to do again. The conditions just killed everything! Hopefully the Boar will be better

My A rider friends told me how many guys were stuck on the last ten miles of the A/B split either out of gas, blown up bikes, or exhaustion. The sweepers had their work cut out for them yesterday. I hope nobody had to spend the night out there.

Just got off the phone with my buddy Chris, he was on minute 14 riding in the vet A class, same scenario, people running out of gas on the last test. He swears that he will never do it again. I rode the creek on saturday, nice blue sky's with plenty of slop on the quicksilver loop. I was laughing on the way home that evening as the dark clouds were coming in, and I hit rain a little north of Watsonville. "Poor bastards" I thought to myself.:applause:

:applause: So I came up to the first bottleneck. All these guys were waiting at the bottom on the hill. I still had my goggles on but couldn't see 10 feet, much less to the top of the hill, to see the carnage.

I just think,"ahhh, these guys just can't hillclimb" and I pinned it! Rightly so, cuz at the top there were 3 guys stuck in the only lines available and some huge boulders. No way did I wanna get stuck, expecially after just pissing off the 15 guys at the bottom of the hill. :applause:

So I punched it and LAUNCHED my bike up and over! Picked the biggest rock and WENT FOR IT! Those three guys just stopped and watched how it was done! :lol:

It was ugly.

I didn't see the line to the left until I was on my butt & climbing up. :cry:

As of this morning my bike is still at mile 66.2 on the course (the pond). My front fender is at mile 10.5. I'm in south orange county trying to wake up.

I had a nice long hike through woods pondering what life would be like if I didn't ride these crazy events. I know this: Moto boots suck as hiking boots.

I still am up in the air about the new format. Houring out is houring out, no matter how you look at it.

I was working the check you walked into. I am glad too here you made it home safe. I remember when you came through the check minus the front fender. I rode the course several times over the last several weeks. If it would not have rained it would have been the greatest QS ever, the course was really laid out well, but the muddy conditions just made things tough.

I weighed my bike this morning before washing the mud off, 304 lbs.(2003 CRF450R), a lot of mud fell off loading and unloading the bike plus the mud is now dry, so some weight was lost do too that. I bet there is another ten pounds sitting on my garage floor where the bike was parked over night.

VinnyL28

It sounds like your experiance was the same as mine. You hit the same bottle necks and wondered !! We hit three on test #3. The first was when you went through a creek and up a wet rocky hill. There was a Women helping guys up it. Lots of guys sitting and looking like they didn't want to take a shot at it so we rode around everyone and up it. At the top of that you had to go over a log that was angles and make a hard right up a deep sandy hill. Lots of folks stuck on the hill for some reason. THEN the 25 min. wait - rocky trail with a uphill that had one good line with piles of guys stuck on or about to be. Again it was not very tough if had some momentum on your side. I really wasn't all that frustrated - just having fun in the mud.

Olddude

You are so lucky you missed all those log jams - good job on getting the front row - remind me to sign up with you next time !!:applause: I saw your bike back at your truck but I didn't see you anywhere at gas.

SO WHO RAN THE NON NATIONAL C 2nd LOOP - details please !!:applause:

It is going to take me a long time to clean up the mess the race left on all my gear !!!

dp:thumbsup:

Great posts, just read them all.

Bummer it doesn't rain for like 2 months, then the one day you don't want it to rain and it does.

A friend of mine did the race and won his class. Finished 6th overall i think.

His girlfriend said it was "fun".

Maybe it pays off to be way out front.

Olddude

You are so lucky you missed all those log jams - good job on getting the front row - remind me to sign up with you next time !!:applause: I saw your bike back at your truck but I didn't see you anywhere at gas.

:cry: Yeah, pre-entry for the "C" class is the only way to go (especially for members of clubs that put on enduros) . I was told about those bottlenecks in the third test section and I was .... :applause:

After getting out of my wet muddy gear I walked up to the "endurocross" section and BSed with some people up there while we waited for the first riders to come in. The first guy there was over 30 minutes late when he got there. That last 10 mile test must have been hell. Dick Burleson said that he had ridden it the day before, in much better conditions (but at the original 32 mph speed average which they dropped to 24 mph Sunday) and was 35 minutes late ....... in a 10 mile section! :lol:

Where was the enduro cross section - we never saw it ????

dp

The enduro cross section was on the north east side of the club house on top of the hill by the new bathrooms. I just re-weighed my bike, and it is official, I washed 45 lbs of mud off. I only road 14 miles yesterday going to my check and back, I can just imagine how much more mud was on the bikes from the race. Everybody that went out and road the first loop should be proud of themselves, they road tough terrain in bad conditions that 95% of the motorcyle community would not do, here's to all of you that raced :applause: :applause: :lol::eek::p :p :cry: :cry::applause:

The enduro cross section was on the north east side of the club house on top of the hill by the new bathrooms. I just re-weighed my bike, and it is official, I washed 45 lbs of mud off. I only road 14 miles yesterday going to my check and back, I can just imagine how much more mud was on the bikes from the race. Everybody that went out and road the first loop should be proud of themselves, they road tough terrain in bad conditions that 95% of the motorcyle community would not do, here's to all of you that raced :applause: :applause: :lol::eek::p :p :cry: :cry::applause:

I second that! Good job guys! Especially those who drove the 3 hrs. from sac, knowing damn well it was going to be a mess.

We really need a "beer" icon in so I can give you all a frosty one.

Sounds alot like the Last Man Standing I saw on Sat. night.

I second that! Good job guys! Especially those who drove the 3 hrs. from sac, knowing damn well it was going to be a mess.

We really need a "beer" icon in so I can give you all a frosty one.

Sounds alot like the Last Man Standing I saw on Sat. night.

:applause:

You mean one of these? :applause: They were all a lot tougher than me. My hat is off to all of you.

Dave