New Tire....Now Gearing is Jacked!!

Hola....Just put a 110/100/18 Maxxis Desert IT on my bike. Now the gearing is all jacked up. I pretty much lost 3rd and everything else feels strange. I guess I should have expected this after putting on a bigger tire. Anyway, any recomendations to get it back to where it was. I mainly ride desert terrain. I was thinking 14/51 or 14/50??!?!? I dont see any reason to mess with the front but what do I know. Thanks in advance....Nathan

I just bought that tire as well.. have not had much seat time on it to try it out.. but I did not notice much change with the little ride I did..

I am running a 13/53 but I ride very tight technical trails and I suck so I need the low end play to help with getting up those hills...

Maybe try dropping the rear one or two teeth and that should help ya out!

Hola....Just put a 110/100/18 Maxxis Desert IT on my bike. Now the gearing is all jacked up. I pretty much lost 3rd and everything else feels strange. I guess I should have expected this after putting on a bigger tire. Anyway, any recomendations to get it back to where it was. I mainly ride desert terrain. I was thinking 14/51 or 14/50??!?!? I dont see any reason to mess with the front but what do I know. Thanks in advance....Nathan

Too much Tire for the 250F Bikes.

It's not the SIZE, it's the fact that it won't SPIN anymore.

It will kill the Clutch by the way...........

I put the same size on my bike and lost power in the higher gears also. I switched the front to a 13 tooth. Now the bike is totally different than when i first bought it. Power is strong and it hooks up really good. I'm still getting use to the gearing but i'm very happy with my setup. Might have lost a little top speed but now it can hold it better. I wish i'd done it last year when i switched tires.

Too much Tire for the 250F Bikes.

It's not the SIZE, it's the fact that it won't SPIN anymore.

It will kill the Clutch by the way...........

Do you have personal experience with this? I have heard of quite a few guys on the 250's running this tire and it is the first I have heard of it burning up clutches.. seems like a bit of a stretch!

Do you have personal experience with this? I have heard of quite a few guys on the 250's running this tire and it is the first I have heard of it burning up clutches.. seems like a bit of a stretch!

Yes, I do.....on multiple types of 250F's.

My Wifes Bikes have:

National #2 in the Hare and Hound Series, D-37 Desert and D-37 Enduro as well as Best in the Desert #1 and #2.

That may be a clue that I am not "blowing Smoke".

Everone has to decide what THEY like though.................

It's too Heavy and too Big for the Power a 250F makes.

I would use one on a good running 200 2-Stroke, nothing with less HP than that though.

Good Luck!

Sorry man, I realized your number of posts after I had posted... Hard to wade through a lot of the BS around here.. and am a little discouraged as I have JUST mounted this tire.. Oh well live and learn, thanks for the heads up

Guys,

I've had my crf for a few weeks now and the rear tyre is the next job.

I would have gone with a 120 S12, as these things get grip where there is no grip to get (I ride a lot of mud & bog) but now I'm not too sure.

What do you guys use (size, make & model) in mud / bog/ wet hills?

Guys,

I would have gone with a 120 S12, as these things get grip where there is no grip to get (I ride a lot of mud & bog) but now I'm not too sure.

If all you ride is in mud, I would imagine that your tire would be spinning regardless and it would be alright.. but I doubt you ride in ONLY mud...

maybe the 110 would be good for you?

If all you ride is in mud, I would imagine that your tire would be spinning regardless and it would be alright.. but I doubt you ride in ONLY mud...

maybe the 110 would be good for you?

I think the S-12 is a Michelin, therefore probably a 120 is an odd size?

The Huskys have a 130-sumthin' on them stock, about like a fat 100/100.

Sorry man, I realized your number of posts after I had posted... Hard to wade through a lot of the BS around here.. and am a little discouraged as I have JUST mounted this tire.. Oh well live and learn, thanks for the heads up

No offense taken..............and don't let the "Number" of posts mislead you, plenty of folks here with a ton of poor info!

And truth be told, an "Oldtimer" reminded me of the "too big a Tire" issue recently............

Guys,

From my experience, you can't beat an S12 on the rear--as you said it gets a grip anywhere---I use the 130/80-18. Michilen sizes are kinda strange--the 120/90 is actually slightly taller and my concern was not wanting to raise the rear of the bike because it tends to quicken the steering. Don't be concerned about it being too wide---a good running CRF spins it just fine. The S12 wears well also. I've used Kenda "Millville" 110/100 tires on the rear and they get good grip in deep mud, but hardpack or rocky terrrain chews them up fast. I've not had any clutch problems and my 04 has the original set of plates---don't slip the clutch much and it will last. I like the stock dunlop 742 front tire, but I use the larger 90/100-21 size.