Sign in to follow this  

Headlight replacement, Polished brakes

Gday, I have a 06 S and would like to replace the headlight. I have seen the acerbis ones and didn't like them. Does anyone have anything different fitted and can you post some pictures. Also has anyone ever bothered to polish their brakes, can it be done?

I understand your disapointment with the modern day acerbis headlight alternative, once apon a time acerbis were the best looking and the best quality aftermarket alternative, As hard as I try, I just cant find the coolness in making your bike look like an insect that you would happily take out with a can of mortine. Australia is very limited with its choices compaired to America and Japan, unless you buy over the internet your average bike shop here will probably only offer you the choice of polisport, ufo, or acerbis, If your very lucky you might find a bike shop that has sliped out of a coma and seen what the rest of the world gets and can happily offer you something realy trick, but dont hold your breath. As for your polishing the disc's idear, Forget it unless its going to be a lounge room show peice that you are never going to ride, If you want to improve the performance of your brakes with out spending money, you need to do the opposit of polishing, you need to deglaze the disc's (roughen the surface) Ive tryed many different ways of doing it, and the best results by far have come from bead blasting (not the carrier) just the contact area where the brake pads touch, after a couple of heavy braking sessions bedding the pads in to the new surface they will be at thier optimum, providing every thing else is right, ie. no air in your line, no rust on your caliper pistons, no water in your fluid and so on

I think drzdyl wants to polish the caliper. It can be done but... it will loose the luster quickly as the heat and brake dust and a polished alloy surface are not the best of friends. A lot of work will be required to maintain it.

Yeh !! if its the calipers you want to polish, William1 is dead right, you will spend more time keeping your calipers polished and shiny than ridding the bike cos polishing a fiddely component is very time consuming, and the caliper will be quick to loose its lustre

Yeah I meant the callipers. But now I wont bother, thanks for the info. I wasn't even thinking of the dirt/heat/dust etc. I was just thinking of nice shiny callipers. Cleaning isn't my favourite thing even though the end result is good.

I agree with the acerbis headlight looking ugly. I wouldn't bother asking any bike shops I will keep looking on the internet. I might just have to keep the headlight and look at other options for changing my bike.

Cheers

What about painting the callipers. Has anyone done this or seen it on a bike before. Or will it be as much trouble as pollishing them. Heat, dirt etc, trying to keep them clean.

Back in my hot rod days I used to be able to by paint specifically for brake calipers. It has been a while but check an auto parts or hot rod shop. As I remember the paint was in a spray can and came in at least red and black.