Sign in to follow this  

2006 DR650 Mod help

Just purchased a 06 DR650. Seems there are many modifcations available but, which ones are the most cost effective? I plan to ride about 50/50. Also need more aggresive tires. Those Trail Wings don't really work off road.

Hi Maine,

Poke around the DR forum here for ideas. Depends on your riding style and needs basically. Looking to go a little slower in the woods? Step down to a 14 tooth sprocket in the front for only $15. Are you a big guy? Best bang for the buck there is a couple hundred bucks for new springs front and rear. Difference is like night and day because the DR is way undersprung stock for anyone over 160 lbs. Looking for touring? Get the IMS and a Corbin for about $600. The Corbin is $$$, but a real ass-saver for longer hauls. For tires go with either Dunlop 606s, Pirelli MT21s or Kenda K270s. I'm running Kendas now and love 'em. Getting a lot of milage out of them and they are cheap. I burned up some MT21s in a hurry, but they suited the dirt well. Where in Maine are you? I think I saw you post in the East forum on ADV. Maybe I'll run into you this season; usually the NE rides have a bunch of folks from NH/ME/MA. Good luck with the DR. :applause:

I have to vote for the Dulop D606 tires. I love them off road. On road they are pretty good too. Congrats on buying a great dual sport. I also have to agree with the masses about the springs. I am ordering a new set for mine now.

Thanks,

I think I'll go through Jesse and and get the new springs to start. My riding will be between the Bar Harbor area and Fall River, MA ( I do a lot of comuting) the bike will be trailered. I'm thinking about doing the Dual Sport NAtionals in Louden this June.

Thanks,

I think I'll go through Jesse and and get the new springs to start. My riding will be between the Bar Harbor area and Fall River, MA ( I do a lot of comuting) the bike will be trailered. I'm thinking about doing the Dual Sport NAtionals in Louden this June.

I'll be in Louden too.

Don't forget the skid plate!

The single most cost effective is to open the air box and rejet with a 155-160 main jet depending on your location. Sea level should give the most power with a 160 and air box opened up. You also have to re-adjust the idle screw to 2 1/8 turns open from closed position. Drill out the bottom of the slide to increase throttle response - not much of a difference though probably more at lower elevations.

This stuff will cost you less than $5.00 for the new main jet, and your bike will run cooler.