Sign in to follow this  

K&N air filter

I recently bought a 2004 YZ250F and the previous owner had replaced the foam air filter with a K&N air filter. Has anyone had experience with such type filters? The company claims that it holds more dust than the stock filter but i am a bit affraid of it.

X2, just like a car's filter, they let a crapload of dust in.

With the no-toil, you only need to buy oil. You can just use Tide powdered detergent to clean it (works the same as thier cleaner). I've heard OxyClean works great as well. When you are done oiling the filter, wash your hands with the powdered detergent too.

Note that with the no-toil oil, many people (including myself) have had UNI filters fall apart after using the no-toil oil. I haven't had a problem with No-Toil or Twin-Air filters.

I have been using a K & N filter for 6 months now with absolutley no filtering problems at all. I have even seen the filter so dirty that I noticed a loss of performance-still no dirt passed into the airbox. The only negative things I can say about the product is that it is not as flexible as a foam filter and this makes it slightly more difficult to install-and it also is more expensive. Other than that-no complaints:applause:

The more it gets clogged with dirt, the better it filters out: more of the holes are plugged with dirt.

Hold your filter up to the light and compare it to a foam filter. You will hardly see any light through a oiled foam filter, but will see a bunch of "pinholes" in the kandn.

The dirt may not be sticking to your boot. Try putting some air filter oil on the boot and check it after your ride...

When I go wheeling with my off-roaders club, usually anyone that has a K&N swaps it out for a stock filter for the sinple reason: The kandn lets too much dirt in...