Sign in to follow this  

400cc DS vs. KDX200???

Hey guys, I am currently in the market for a DS for trail/pits mildly hard riding, and some daily driving. (I'm selling an 04 VTX 1300 if anyone is interested) I had figured on getting a DRZ because of their debendability. but...

I recently found an 03 KDX 200 that is currently titled and registered for the street. (a 2stroke on the street sounds like so much fun) What I'm looking to find out is what you feel like the power difference between these bikes would be and how logical is it to actually ride a two stroke on the street.

Thanks in advance guys.

Mike

I have a DRZ400S and a KDX 220. The DRZ is best for the street/fire roads, the KDX is best for the dirt. You can trade places but then neither is much fun to ride.

I have a DRZ400S and a KDX 220. The DRZ is best for the street/fire roads, the KDX is best for the dirt. You can trade places but then neither is much fun to ride.

Sounds like you need to get some new bikes then...

I have a 4-stroke DS that I ride on the street, and a KDX 200. As far as dependability, the KDX is every bit as much as the DRZ. The only thing that I can think of that I personally wouldn't like about riding a 2-stroke on road, is having to carry oil (for fillups) and having to kick-start. If you ever killed the bike at a light, it would be nice to just thumb a button, instead of having to kick the bike over.:applause:

I love my KDX

reliable, and alot of fun to ride. I personally like it better than DRZ's because it is much lighter and I like 2 smokes more

thanks guys....

I actually haven't ridden a kdx before ... what kinda of power difference is there between the 200cc 2stroke and the 400cc 4s? and would daily riding on the street have any bad affects on the top end or anything...

(admittedly I've never owned a two stroke but have ridden many, still learing the ins, and outs of them)

Sounds like you need to get some new bikes then...

Ah, grasshopper....

Since I own both and ride them both very often I can tell you that:

The DRZ-S is kind of overweight (300 lbs +/-), underpowered (35 HP +/-) with little torque down low it tends to be a pig on any kind of challenging trails, the kdx is pretty light for the street and you will likely buzz it to death trying to keep up with traffic on the road, which inevitably occurs....each is more adapted to certain tasks. Understand now?

A stock KDX200 puts out about 30 HP as I recall, weighs about 230 lbs and has a six speed tranny. The front forks are marginal even when properly sprung.

The DRZ-S has a good suspension but is a little soft and doesn't like to be pushed in the dirt when in stock form.

Ah, grasshopper....

Since I own both and ride them both very often I can tell you that:

The DRZ-S is kind of overweight (300 lbs +/-), underpowered (35 HP +/-) with little torque down low it tends to be a pig on any kind of challenging trails, the kdx is pretty light for the street and you will likely buzz it to death trying to keep up with traffic on the road, which inevitably occurs....each is more adapted to certain tasks. Understand now?

A stock KDX200 puts out about 30 HP as I recall, weighs about 230 lbs and has a six speed tranny. The front forks are marginal even when properly sprung.

The DRZ-S has a good suspension but is a little soft and doesn't like to be pushed in the dirt when in stock form.

Oh my mistake, your post made it sound like you had both bikes, and didn't like them!

My bro-in law has a KLX 400 Kawsuki. Next to my 220 I'd much rather ride the 400 on the road. That things like riding a Cadillac compared to the KDX.

If you are getting the the bike to ride off road but want it plated so you can ride it 10 or 15 miles on the road at a time to get to the trails then get the KDX. If you are just going off rd. every now and then get the DRZ. I have a DRZ and am buying a plated KDX tomorrow. I think stock the acceleration between the two the KDX is faster up to 60mph then the drz will run away from the KDX. I wanted both because I wanted the best of both worlds plus the KDX isn`t going to be made anymore. Another plus is the KDX your looking at is probably half the cost of a DRZ.

Sold my modified 03 DRZ-400$ and bought a 05 KDX-200. I didn't like the DRZ on the highway or the dirt. To light for the road and way to top heavy in the dirt. Buy the KDX, add a FMF Desert Pipe, get the right springs for your weight, and drop the gearing a bit. KDX WAY MORE FUN! Enough said...

I sold my 03 klx 400 because I had a kdx200 and started riding the kdx all the time instead. the deal was that I was riding 60+% offroad. the klx wasn't that much better on the road to me because of the narrow seat and the way the engine ran.. seemed like it was working hard. I just street legalized the kdx, went up 1 on the front sprocket and stopped riding the klx. To me the kdx was a way better bike offroad, klx seemed like it wanted to wash out when you rode it hard in the tight stuff and it wasn't as much fun either.

I have an '06 KDX200 with an FMF Desert pipe and RB modified carburetor. IMO, the thing is a monster whether you are on or off the road. I added the RB Designs carb at the end of the riding season (snow came soon after) so I didnt get a chance to dial it in but with just the FMF pipe, it is great. Like others mentioned, the DRZ is a lot heavier then the KDX. The DRZ weighs 249 pounds dry. The KDX weighs 222.6 and it has room for improvement. The stock pipe and muffler are anchors. Swap them for FMF and you will probably drop five of more pounds. Just the weight difference between the two bikes might compensate for the amount of power the DRZ has on the KDX. Get the KDX and you'll love it!