Sign in to follow this  

Cycra Probend Racer Pack with "U" clamp for a 2007 TE450.. do I need bar ends?

I am going to be ordering some Cycra Probends with the "U" clamp for my new 2007 Husky TE450. I am going to get the "Black" shield color. This is the website I see them listed on...

http://store.cycraracing.com/prrapawiuclh.html

my question is, do I need to order bar ends too in order to mount these on the bike? if you go to that link above and scroll down you will see they offer either a "Rubber Bar End Set" or an "Aluminum Bar End Set".

I'm just wondering if I need any of the above and if so which ones I should get?

Thanks!

BTW.. I want to order these through the ThumperTalk store because I believe they are the cheapest there, but I don't see them listed in their catalog.. (not the "U" mount racer pack at least)

You need the aluminum bar ends. If you are running the stock bars you will need to order the system for 7/8th's inch and you will also have to drill out the end of the stock bars to 9/16" as these are thick wall bars and even the aluminum bar ends will not work. If you have tapered bars you need the fatbar kit.

As for the TT store just call them, they are hooked up with the major distributors and can get anything.

damn, so like $130 for the Cyrcra with "U" mounts, then another $15 for the Aluminum bar ends, then I still have to drill out... ahhh.. forget it, I will just use the stock hand guards...

plus I'm a little concerned with having something like the cycra's or barkbusters where if I fall my hand might get trapped between the handlebars and the metal hand guard. I will be doing lots of riding on the street too with this bike so I don't want to have the chance of breaking my wrists if I get caught up in the handguards..

I would think the bar ends come with the kit. :applause: As far as catching your hands in the bar I have heard others have this fear but have NEVER heard of anyone doing this and have ridden with this type of guard off road for over 20 years and never had an issue. Almost EVERYONE in the NW uses these types of handguards because they are the best protection.

I have always heard of that same thing and have never met anyone who has their hand trapped? I know some who failed to let go and got worked by the bars/controls and guards..but I never attributed injury to the guards themselves. I can't count the times my guards have hit "things" while riding.

I can only guess as the the pain and suffering they have saved me.

The Cycra Probends I put on the 250 came with all the hardware and plastic shields for around 90 bucks.

BTW I got these: http://store.cycraracing.com/barmopr.html

how hard is it to take off the bar ends that are already on the te450 stock? what's it like some sort of plastic rubber piece or something?

and do you need to adjust anything with the throttle hand grip once you install these handguards?

how hard is it to take off the bar ends that are already on the te450 stock? what's it like some sort of plastic rubber piece or something?

and do you need to adjust anything with the throttle hand grip once you install these handguards?

You'll need to cut the ends of the grips off and cut the end of the throttle tube that goes over the end of the bar off. After you have the guards on make sure the throttle tube moves freely. Loosen throttle mount bolts and slide a hair inward if needed and tighten.

Aluminum bar-ends fit the stock bars on my '06 TE450 without any drilling.

Same with my '06 TE250.

And like the others, no one I know has ever got their hands caught. I do know several who have crunched fingers on trees without guards though.

There are no "bar ends" stock, the grips just cover them. Cut the ends off.

This really is no big deal.

damn, so like $130 for the Cyrcra with "U" mounts, then another $15 for the Aluminum bar ends, then I still have to drill out... ahhh.. forget it, I will just use the stock hand guards...

plus I'm a little concerned with having something like the cycra's or barkbusters where if I fall my hand might get trapped between the handlebars and the metal hand guard. I will be doing lots of riding on the street too with this bike so I don't want to have the chance of breaking my wrists if I get caught up in the handguards..

Check out the Enduro Engineering bark busters. They are around 60 bucks and I really like them. I have them on four of my bikes.

does anybody have pictures or info on how much of the stock handgrips and throttle I need to cut off? and also what tools will be needed? I'm debating on whether I should do this myself or let the dealer do it before I pick up the bike..

also, does these aluminum bar ends on the Cycra Racer Packs thread right into the open end of the bars? or do I need to drill out the end of the bars or tap them or something?

Thanks

I just got a Racer Pack with U-clamps. It included two sets of bar ends - one for steel bars and one for aluminum. Both are made out of aluminum. They have a knurled outer surface that expands to grip the inner diameter of the bar as the mounting bolt is tightened. No drilling or tapping required. They are not like the expanding rubber plug and sliding aluminum wedges that I've used before.

where did you order them for and for what price? what bike are you mounting them on?

also what color shield would look best with the 2007 Husky TE that are red and white? I was thinking a black shield?

Got them directly from cycraracing.com for $130 - didn't see the U-mount racer pack at the TT store.. They're going on a '06 TE510. Color is just personal preference I reckon - can't go wrong with black or white.

I'm debating on whether I should do this myself or let the dealer do it before I pick up the bike..

Whenever possible I have the dealer do bark busker install before picking up a new bike - it is not hard at all but simply arranging all the controls around them can be a bit of a chore. Would not pay a whole lot to have them put on but if you can get the dealer to throw in the labor why not?

Real reason - I am lazy.