Sign in to follow this  

Clarke Gas Tank Cap Problem.....

Just curious if anyone else has had a problem with their stock Clarke cap rubber cracking and falling appart:thumbsdn: . If so what is a good replacement cap for this tank??

my clarke tank cap is separating at the top....I wonder if this is the same problem?

I'm going to call clarke today, and they better give me a new cap for free, as this is definitely a Federal issue with gas AND gas fumes leaking out....it gave me a headache when in my van last weekend!!!!

A few weeks ago it was posted that this cap is a good replacement, FYI I have not confirmed this information myself......."believe half of what you see and none of what you hear until you confirm it yourself"

Clarke replacement cap: 06 Honda XR650R stock cap

This is a chronic clarke problem. There are several threads on this. If your tank is less than 1 year old they will send you a new cap/rubber. More than that, you're on your own. There are a variety of aluminium ones available. Apparently XR650 caps work. I used some heavy weight gasket material cut to fit and then used fuel type gasket pooky to hold mine in place, no leaks yet. Only about 5 months now though.

I just noticed this problem on my Clarke tank. Looked at the gasket, and it was all crumpled up. I decided to order the XR650R cap, and it should be here in a week. I'll report with my findings.

mine separated at the top after 1 ride. i avoided the hassle and bought a $20 billet one instead. i agree, clarke needs to redesign the cap.

I haven't had a problem-maybe mine came from a good batch-but I always-ALWAYS- loosen the cap before and several times during a ride and only ever tighten it just past the point of contact between the gasket and the tank-lessons learned painfully from snowmobiling and the rapid expansion and contraction of the plastic due to temps.

sounds like clarke's mold doesn't put enough material at the juncture between threads and top.