Sign in to follow this  

TE 450 2006 Exhaust Mods

hi and thanks for any help in advance.

Ive read a few times about the Stock Exhaust being a bit restrictive in the performance dept. How do i sort this out if possible.

Search for the words "exhaust mod" under user poconopete. That thread has pictures and detail for the mod. Basically you drill out the rivets that hold the endcap one and you pull the endcap. Then you use a dremel to cut the baffle tube so that the exhaust exit is the same diameter as the outside of the exhaust outlet.

I think the general consensus is that opening up the can will provide more power and snap/quicker reving. I'm guessing this would be true with most any 92DB pipe. If there were no power losses here ALL 4 strokes would be 92DB or less. All that said I like quiet pipes and think it is very good for the sport in general.

.... All that said I like quiet pipes and think it is very good for the sport in general.

I think he lives in South Africa. Sound limitations may not be such a big issue there. In the US it is very important that we keep our sound limits in check. Our sport is at risk already. We need to do whatever we can to minimize our impact to the rest of the non-riding community so the above advice is very good. :applause:

I think he lives in South Africa. Sound limitations may not be such a big issue there. In the US it is very important that we keep our sound limits in check. Our sport is at risk already. We need to do whatever we can to minimize our impact to the rest of the non-riding community so the above advice is very good. :applause:

oops your right I was not taking that into consideration. Yank that muffler off and run it straight pipe :applause: I still like quiet pipes even without restrictions as loud bikes give ma a headache as I usually ride 50-70 miles at a time over many hours.

I still like quiet pipes even without restrictions as loud bikes give ma a headache.....

Yep, I agree. :applause:

Thanks for the response. Yes im in South Africa, but sound is becoming a small issue here, and all races are going to be DB tested in the near future. excuse the ignorance but what is a dremel? maybe i know it by another name?

I found the previous link for the 250, and found it very informative. I ride more technical routes, and less open stuff , so have found some other links to very informative , especially the FAN installation onto the radiators.

Here is an excelent link from smjunkie.

http://www.daveysprocket.com/projects/smr_exhaust.html

It shows cutting out the center pipe and shortening the can a few inches as well. I have done it and while it is just a bit louder the sound is so much sweeter that alone is worth the effort.

BTW, i gone to that site and our Euro3 *Racing* silencer (with PN in other thread) is way more free flow than USA stock models.

BTW, i gone to that site and our Euro3 *Racing* silencer (with PN in other thread) is way more free flow than USA stock models.

How would you compare it to a modded USA version? I don't think it can get any more free flowing than that.