Rowher No OHV sign frustration

Rode Rowher yesterday for the first time, and in our search for some good stuff we found this section of sweet single track, about 3 miles long. When we came out to the powerline road on the other side of it there is a NO OHV sign that we saw the back of.

We were on the Pacific Crest trail. I don't understand how they want us to follow the rules if they don't mark trails from both sides:bonk:

I know what you mean. A while back there were trails out at Phelan that were marked "no OHV" at the top and marked blue or black diamond at the bottom. :applause: So obviously we rode from the bottom up. :applause: Still, makes for a lot of confusion. In CA we won't have to worry about that for long cause very shortly we will have the law that says you can't ride a trail unless it's marked that you CAN ride it. Exactly the opposite of how it is now. With the BLM & NFS's "great" record of marking trails properly, that will sure put a dent in riding opportunities.

Rode Rowher yesterday for the first time, and in our search for some good stuff we found this section of sweet single track, about 3 miles long. When we came out to the powerline road on the other side of it there is a NO OHV sign that we saw the back of.

We were on the Pacific Crest trail. I don't understand how they want us to follow the rules if they don't mark trails from both sides:bonk:

Been on the PCT unknowingly my self on a couple of different sections in different areas. It's some of the best single track I ever rode.LOL Never see any one hiking on it though.

I must say that was a really fun trail though :applause: Lucky we didnt get caught, I wander if we did get busted if the rangers would have understood our situation? Unfortunately the answer is probably not. :applause:

No matt, we looped off onto that same single track off the main trail but then if you remember when we stopped in that wash, where i just tipped over standing there, there was a gnarly hillclimb with rocks and rutts everywhere that we looked at. There was a trail going around the side of it that we took instead of riding the wash all the way to the end. There is a lot of fun single track back there that isnt the PCT, we just happen to end up on it. Im going to map out some loops on my GPS next time we make it out there and try to get an accutrate location on where the PCT runs.

Depending on how you got there you likely had already passed the "No" sigh before you got to the PCT. The "No" signs are usually only at the boundry between the OK and not OK zones. Once inside the no zone there are not many more signs.

Signs get torn down all the time up there and most everywhere else. The forest service tries to sign it, but a yahoo in a 4x4 does doughnuts on the sign. I'm pretty sure that the road along the Sierra Paloma crest (6N07) is now closed just a little past (east) the junction of 6N08. They put a wimpy wire fence up, but it was torn down in no time. The only legal single track on the bouquet side of the ridge is the trail down to the staging area on Bouquet.

Down here in Socal we are in a limbo zone somewhere between the open unless sighed closed and the closed unless signed open. Unfortunately, "Closed unless signed open" doesn't just mean one thing. In the Angeles NF it is enforced as closed unless signed open. The signs are only advisory, as you need to know that you are on the correct route. I dread the day when it becomes closed unless SIGNED open. If there is no sign then no riding. When that day comes the people destroying the signs will be the greenies not the yahoos.

The only legal single track on the bouquet side of the ridge is the trail down to the staging area on Bouquet.

You mean that really cool single track that goes into the tunnel of bushes and under the trees on the Bouquet side is a no-no. That sucks man! :applause:

I think I'm just going to camouflage my bike and run a stealth pipe. Same goes for my riding gear. I will have to have a set of mountain and dez. for any situation. Maybe some fake antlers for my handlebars so I can look like a deer. Sh#t! Then I'll have the hunters after me! LOL

Maybe some fake antlers for my handlebars so I can look like a deer. Sh#t! Then I'll have the hunters after me! LOL

Hmmmm....time to break out my SKS. When does the season open? Sounds like it's open already at Mt. Emma. Time to lock n load. Oh wait, #$%@$%. LT, do you still have my SKS?? I think I might need it....

:applause:

I think I'm just going to camouflage my bike and run a stealth pipe. Same goes for my riding gear. I will have to have a set of mountain and dez. for any situation. Maybe some fake antlers for my handlebars so I can look like a deer. Sh#t! Then I'll have the hunters after me! LOL

Everything black, bike, gear, and all. Just add night vision goggles and ride at night.

You mean that really cool single track that goes into the tunnel of bushes and under the trees on the Bouquet side is a no-no. That sucks man! :applause:

We rode that as well on the way back. There were no signs until we were on the other side of a horse ranch, and through the PCT. I feel bad because I want to do my best to be a responsible rider, but without signage I have no idea where I can and cannot ride.

That was some AMAZING single track though. There's probably 10 people that hike that per year, and it is just wasted:bonk:

We rode that as well on the way back. There were no signs until we were on the other side of a horse ranch, and through the PCT. I feel bad because I want to do my best to be a responsible rider, but without signage I have no idea where I can and cannot ride.

That was some AMAZING single track though. There's probably 10 people that hike that per year, and it is just wasted:bonk:

No Jesse, he is talking about the last trail that we rode. The one where you got a little stuck on that rocky turn, and kept asking how long it was lol.