Sign in to follow this  

chain guide rubbing?

I recently went to a +3 rear sprocket on my 426f but it appears that the outside *bottom* of my chain is rubbing the chain guide too much do to the larger diameter of the rear sprocket...is this normal or should I get a different chain guide that's designed to accommodate a larger than OEM rear sprocket? Also when I first installed my new chain I broke it a tad short so my wheel is scooted pretty far forward in the wheel adjustment blocks on the swing arm...don't know if that matters or not. Thanks for the info. :applause:

If that's happening, I would move it as far back as I could. I see that you've made your chain too short. Can you put any of those links back in? Did you replace the chain with the sprocket?

If that's happening, I would move it as far back as I could. I see that you've made your chain too short. Can you put any of those links back in? Did you replace the chain with the sprocket?

yeah i recently replaced both front and rear sprockets along with a new chain all at the same time of course. The rear wheel isn't even slid all the way forward and I can't put the links back in without adding another masterlink and I've heard that's not ideal. Do you think this chain guide would solve my problem? http://www.motosport.com/offroad/productDetail.php?prodId=309102&nav=3&sMMY=YAMAHA;YZF426;2000

yeah i recently replaced both front and rear sprockets along with a new chain all at the same time of course. The rear wheel isn't even slid all the way forward and I can't put the links back in without adding another masterlink and I've heard that's not ideal. Do you think this chain guide would solve my problem? http://www.motosport.com/offroad/productDetail.php?prodId=309102&nav=3&sMMY=YAMAHA;YZF426;2000
You know what is also less than ideal? Cutting your chain so short it causes problems. :applause:

j/k giving you a hard time.

You can either move the wheel back with a larger(ie longer) chain...

Or go smaller on the rear sprocket AND go one down on the front instead.

Oh BTW that link only took me to the start of the search function....not to anything in particular.

Rhino

Do you have any of the links that you cut off? Perhaps your local shop might have a few if you don't. You could then put those in with a chain tool and use only one master link.

Do you have any of the links that you cut off? Perhaps your local shop might have a few if you don't. You could then put those in with a chain tool and use only one master link.

I thought that once you brake a link off a chain with a chainbreaker that you can't re-use that link??? Is that not correct? I might just add another masterlink...i'll be running two but oh well.. The chain guide i'm looking at is the TM designworks on www.motosport.com

I thought that once you brake a link off a chain with a chainbreaker that you can't re-use that link??? Is that not correct? I might just add another masterlink...i'll be running two but oh well.. The chain guide i'm looking at is the TM designworks on www.motosport.com

bump...anyone?

bump...anyone?
I don't beleive that the guide will fix your problem. The only sure way to know is to order it. Either way you have a good chain guide.

Your problem is you cut your chain to short for your gearing.....

1) Either change your sprockets to add some length (one down on the front, 3-4 down on the rear)

2) Lengthen the existing or buy a new chain

3) Hack your existing guide to allow for clearance.

Rhino

I don't beleive that the guide will fix your problem. The only sure way to know is to order it. Either way you have a good chain guide.

Your problem is you cut your chain to short for your gearing.....

1) Either change your sprockets to add some length (one down on the front, 3-4 down on the rear)

2) Lengthen the existing or buy a new chain

3) Hack your existing guide to allow for clearance.

Rhino

thanks man