Sign in to follow this  

shortening kickstarter

if i took about an inch out of the kicker of my cr250 would it make it harder to start,

It will definitely reduce the leverage you now have when kicking it, don't know how much; if at all, this would increase the starting difficulty. But if you make it an inch shorter, will it still clear the pipe when it's in the up position? Also, with this being a cast piece, might be tough to re-weld and still be strong enough to do it's job...:applause:

• Like 1

i never thought about the casting problem, yea maybe i will not do this, i just thought that i could push my leg down easier, and in turn harder, if my leg was farther down

• Like 1

Were you wanting to do this so you could get a better stroke on the kickstarter?

What I mean is, do you feel like you can't get enough "oomph" behind your kick?

• Like 1

Like SonoBob said, you would loose leverage. Depending on the how long the kickstarter is, you could develop a ratio of the amount you took out to how much there was to start with. Then if you could measure the force, you could calculate how much more force would be needed on the shorter rod to produce the same amount of torque. If you cannot produce that much, it would do you no good to chop the amount off.

• Like 1

Were you wanting to do this so you could get a better stroke on the kickstarter?

What I mean is, do you feel like you can't get enough "oomph" behind your kick?

yes..

yes..

Ok, gotcha....

Now for the basics...you are "pressurizing" the kickstarter and kicking from the very top of the stroke, right? How tall are you? Is your ride sag set correctly?

Kick hard. I can start my bike by sittin on my seat, and I have a high compression motor too. Just make sure you are at the top of the kickers stroke, and then give it a hard kick.

To answer your question. Yes, if you shorten the kick starter, you will lose that inch of leverage. That little on inch converts into alot of kicking power, so I wouldn't do it. And also, if you were to cut it, it would be very hard to get it back together without it being weak/breaking.