Sign in to follow this  

XR100 carb on old 1973 SL100?

I have an old SL100 I am trying to get running. (Actually XL100, but more similar to the SL100.)

Does anyone know if an XR100 carb will work on an older SL100?

I'm trying to get the SL100 running. I used a carb rebuild kit (all new jets), but it's not running at all. It was barely running before the carb rebuild. The one setting I am not sure about is the float setting. The Clymer manual doesn't show how to adjust the old carb with the round floats.

Thanks!

you still adjust fuel level by bending the little tang that the float needle is looped around . what are your running symptoms?

Pull the cover off the side of the head and check the points and condensor clean the point contacts check all your connections make sure you have spark,also check your valve adjustment.That carb should work fine since it's going on the same size engine.

The fuel bowl need to be about 1/3 to 1/2 full depend on the carb it was real SL100 carb it should be about half full but it sound like your get to much fuel which maybe flooding the motor.

There should be no reason why the XR100 carb can't on older SL100 but you must likely going to have rejet the carb and as beezerjoe said check spark and your points.

beezerjoe they may be same size CC engine but they bore and stroke is diff on most older honda vs new model like an XR100.

The fuel bowl need to be about 1/3 to 1/2 full depend on the carb it was real SL100 carb it should be about half full but it sound like your get to much fuel which maybe flooding the motor.

There should be no reason why the XR100 carb can't on older SL100 but you must likely going to have rejet the carb and as beezerjoe said check spark and your points.

beezerjoe they may be same size CC engine but they bore and stroke is diff on most older honda vs new model like an XR100.

That's true alittle bigger bore or longer stroke will definetly play a part in the jetting.If that be his case he may want to drop a jet size on the pilot or main but it should be in the ball park to make it run all you can do is try it and see what happens.:applause: