New 07 CR85 Qeustions

I just bought my wife an 07 CR85 Expert, and I have a few questions. She is still a fairly beginner rider, and Id like to mellow out the powerband a bit. She has ridden an older yz80, and she was able to handle the power delivery, but I know this CR is like a light swtich. I figure I will go to a 16 tooth sproket up front, if it fits, or smaller in the rear. Id also like to get a heavier flywheel, but I dont see that anyone makes one for this bike. Any other suggestions?

Also, reading the service manual, they state you should replace the piston and rings every 7.5 hours. I suppose that makes sense for racing, but my wife is just going to be riding in the desert and such. How frequently do i really need to swap out those parts?

Thanks in advance!!

As far as her switching from the Yamaha to the Honda, I wouldn't worry about mellowing it out. The Yamaha's are more "of a light switch" than the "new age" Honda's =better porting and a flat sided carb.

Everyone that I talk to says the same thing that the Honda's don't have any lowend power, but since 2005 they flat out rock on the low to mid power.

With that said a flywheel weight will help to smooth it out.

Just google it. You should be able to find one for it.

Maybe just replace the aluminum clutch plates with steel ones. I adds about 3/4 lbs and helps the bike hook up.

As far as her switching from the Yamaha to the Honda, I wouldn't worry about mellowing it out. The Yamaha's are more "of a light switch" than the "new age" Honda's =better porting and a flat sided carb.

Everyone that I talk to says the same thing that the Honda's don't have any lowend power, but since 2005 they flat out rock on the low to mid power.

With that said a flywheel weight will help to smooth it out.

Just google it. You should be able to find one for it.

Maybe just replace the aluminum clutch plates with steel ones. I adds about 3/4 lbs and helps the bike hook up.

Yea, I asked the same question over on ATM and got a link to stealth flywheels, they do have stuff that fits.

I guess the first trick will just be to see how she does, then go from there!

• 4 weeks later...

I've done a lot of work on CR85 to give smoother bottom end yet still maintain all of the grunt. These are the mods which I would recommend. I've done these on an '04 and it feels way better even than the later '06 bikes. This bike makes the '06 owners I know green with envy and they all use it as a benchmark for their tuning to try and get their bottom ends up their.

In order of effectiveness, FMF shorty, V Force Reeds, Steathly flywheel weight - All of these contribute greatl to an mproved bottom end and deliver a much more level power curve ... you do still get an adrenaline hit though when the revs really come on :applause:

Also make sure the jetting is set up very close to the manual spec for your alttitude and temp .. these bikes are very jetting critical and the manual is more or less spot on in my experience.

Good luck!

I just bought my wife an 07 CR85 Expert, and I have a few questions. She is still a fairly beginner rider, and Id like to mellow out the powerband a bit. She has ridden an older yz80, and she was able to handle the power delivery, but I know this CR is like a light swtich. I figure I will go to a 16 tooth sproket up front, if it fits, or smaller in the rear. Id also like to get a heavier flywheel, but I dont see that anyone makes one for this bike. Any other suggestions?

Also, reading the service manual, they state you should replace the piston and rings every 7.5 hours. I suppose that makes sense for racing, but my wife is just going to be riding in the desert and such. How frequently do i really need to swap out those parts?

Thanks in advance!!

I heard people using washers in the exhaust port to mellow the bike for dirt cheap while she get used to it. You can also choose how mellow you want it by having a smaller or bigger hole in the washer. :applause: Don't restrict it too much though, or you could overheat the port.

Thanks in advance!!

On the piston, yes you have to keep an eye on it and change it every 8-10 hours. Honda 85 intake area has no support bridge to help the piston out so there's alot of stress on the back side of the piston (its like the older 250r 1985-1986 they had the same problem so in 1987- they design the cylinder with intake bridges to help support the piston)

On lowering the power band down add(weld) .200-.400 to the header of the exhaust this will bring your peak power down in rpm's.

Gene

• 1 month later...