Sign in to follow this  

Toyhaul advise...1/2 ton truck

Wus up,

I have a 1/2 ext cab ford f150 5.4-V8, 3.73/limited slip in the rear, short bed.

I am looking at buying either toyhauler trailer or just getting a small class C RV 25-30' and towing a utility trail with toys in the back. Any advise would be great.

-Attila

I have the same truck and I pull a 19' Weekend Warrior SuperLite. They have a really low dry weight, so that even when their loaded up a 1/2 ton can pull them. Still have all the amenities of a regular toy hauler, 100gal frsh, on board 4.0 gen., fuel station etc.

You should check out www.rv.net and post the same question.

I have a diet 1/2 ton truck (tundra) and have been looking for a light weight TH also. you might want to check out the Travelstar (Starcraft) line. :applause: They have traditional TH, and also TT with a front 8X8 deck for your toys. Both of which would be towed easly with your truck. One of the TT (with a deck in front) has a 10 to 15 foot slide that's still under 5k dry.

You'll need to get the small toy hauler to be able to tow up steep grades. And don't load it down with gas and water when towing. A cheaper alternative is to put the bikes in the truck and get a small tow trailer.

Any of the weekend warriors superlite series will work fine for you.. I would change your gears to 4.10's and get a superchips flashpaq tuner and install the tow tune. Also add a larger aftermarket trans cooler. A real big help would be to add a supper charger. Helps with towing and a blast to drive while not towing!!!! But costs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If you get a super light TH, then you could deal with it, but TH's have a lot of tongue weight and that eats up load capacity quickly in a 1/2 ton...If you are 2wd, then a gear change would be a step in the right direction.

The other option, which I will be exploring myself, is to haul my bike in the truck, and tow a light travel trailer for camping. A TT has much less tongue weight, costs a whole lot less, and has a lot better interior.

If you get a super light TH, then you could deal with it, but TH's have a lot of tongue weight and that eats up load capacity quickly in a 1/2 ton...If you are 2wd, then a gear change would be a step in the right direction.

The other option, which I will be exploring myself, is to haul my bike in the truck, and tow a light travel trailer for camping. A TT has much less tongue weight, costs a whole lot less, and has a lot better interior.

Depending on how many bikes you have this is a good idea. 1 for the fact you can sleep in it on the road without unloading bikes, 2 you do not have to set up the trailer when you get ther after unloading.

We started out with an SUV towing our TH and it worked pretty good, but was pushing it. We stepped up to a 3/4 Diesel PU and it is much better. If all the bikes are coming thne we need the TH anyway (6 bikes), but if we are heading to the races and I am not racing we can just load the bed of the truck (3 bikes).

Check RV.net forum for some good info. Also with the tongue weight the best thing is an equalizer hitch with a 1/2 ton. This is a WD hitch with sawy control built in. It all adds up quick. With a gallon of water at 8.3 lbs/gal (something like that), gas the same, propane, batteries, all the plates, cloths,dishes, and little things you add in the camper, plus the bikes. It will get you up over capacity quick. Most experienced towers will tell you to not go over 80% of your towing capacity.

Any of the "light weight" 20 foot and under haulers will work for you. Superlite, Megalite, Extralite... I had a Carson 16ft FunRunner toy hauler and the F150 was a great rig to pull it with. Maxed out at about 6,000 lbs loaded.

Your best to get a toy hauler with three bikes, your hitch weight and tow vehicle capacity gets eaten up rapidly with three 250lb bikes in the bed.

No matter which way you go(TT or TH) you should be running a WD hitch.

Hauling a TT as I stated before can work real well, but not if you're trying to haul 3 bikes.

There are several light-weight TH's that keep the GVWR of the trailer around 6000-6500 lbs. I would not want to haul more then that.

We thought a travel trailer was a better option a few years ago too. There weren't any light toyhaulers and the small 21' were heavy before being loaded up, so we got a 27' tt that was lighter and cheaper and just put the bikes in the back of the truck. This was a bitchin' trailer, like a small house, fancy inside, even had a surround sound system! Truth of the matter is it just wasn't practical for dirt bike camping. Having to disconnect from the truck to unload bikes really sucks! 35gal. of fresh water goes fast! Dragging along a portable generator. Clean up after a trip meant more nooks and crannys for dirt to hide in! Our 19' Superlite is actually roomier and the beds are soooooo much more comfortable. Add the fact that its fully self contained and much more relaxing to tow. Like I said, I've got the same truck and have pulled fully loaded for a 4 day outing up the infamous Cajon w/400 quad,450db,150db, and 50db inside. Also w/Ranger 700 ( yes it fits ) and a crf150 inside. Thats with no gearing changes, trans cooler etc. Pulls it all just fine.

Anyone ever tried to tow a Toy Hauler with a V6 F-150? I really like the Weekend Warrior Superlite, but want one that I can actually move around in. So I'm stuck with either the 23 or 25 foot, both of which are below my GVWR of 6050. How screwed am I gonna be???:applause:

Anyone ever tried to tow a Toy Hauler with a V6 F-150? I really like the Weekend Warrior Superlite, but want one that I can actually move around in. So I'm stuck with either the 23 or 25 foot, both of which are below my GVWR of 6050. How screwed am I gonna be???:applause:

You could wind up way screwed, way fast, with GVW of 6050, you'll have to add in all the stuff you want to tote, then come up with your total towed weight, now add in the weight of the truck, people, and all the stuff that one totes in the truck, then add everything together-now you have GCW (Gross Combination Weight), now see if you're still within the GCW rating your truck???

It doesn't take long to run out of weight rating on a half ton, that is why it is a much more precise science when using one.

http://www.warriormfg.com/8fslite.html#specs

Grab your ankles.:lol:

Thanks for the replies. I was kinda figuring that would be the case. Time for a bigger truck!!

I am taking delivery of a Fun Finder Xtra XT200 in two weeks. The dry

weight is 3900lbs(with all options). A typical 1/2 p/u will tow 7500 lbs.

That leaves 3500 lbs for payload. This trailer in nice, fit & finish is great.

All the amenities that you will need for a weekend at the track or a week

out in the desert.

Check out their website @ http://www.cruiserrv.com/funfinderXtra/index.html

I hope this helps.

Thanks...I looked at it, and the only problem is, I want to find something I can comfortably live in. There is an RV park on the base I'm on, and my housing pay will cover the trailer cost, and space rental with quite a bit left over. Granted it is just me, but I might just have to get a bigger truck, and then work on the trailer issue!!

Thanks...I looked at it, and the only problem is, I want to find something I can comfortably live in. There is an RV park on the base I'm on, and my housing pay will cover the trailer cost, and space rental with quite a bit left over. Granted it is just me, but I might just have to get a bigger truck, and then work on the trailer issue!!

Buy a diesel 1 ton, Buy a fifth wheel toyhauler with slides. Use your housing allowance and be comfortable.

You'll hate living in a tow behind toyhauler.