Sign in to follow this  

Regular grease (bearing grease) instead of air filter rim grease?

I havent been able to get air filter rim grease here in Mexico.

I have been using Maxima air filter oil + regular bearing grease on the rim to prevent dust and/or water from going in.

Should i just use the maxima oil until i can get rim grease?

Does the bearing grease do any good?

Thanks

Bearing grease will seal the filter fine, it's just a lot more of a mess to remove when you clean the filter!

Bearing grease will seal the filter fine, it's just a lot more of a mess to remove when you clean the filter!

Thanks.

Is there a thinner grease i could use instead then and that i could find easily?

Thanks.

Is there a thinner grease i could use instead then and that i could find easily?

Nevermind. When i clean my air filter in gas it goes right off easily... its the maxima oil the one that makes a mess.

I hate the god damn thing.

Putting it on is the real hassle... it gets all over your hands, and even if i wash them with simple green it doesnt come off..

Nevermind. When i clean my air filter in gas it goes right off easily... its the maxima oil the one that makes a mess.

Putting it on is the real hassle... it gets all over your hands, and even if i wash them with simple green it doesnt come off..

GOJO Pump bottle is the greatest thing out for washing hands. It eliminates the tub style of cleaning solutions and contains grit that eliminates all oils and grease off the hands.

gojo_pump.gif

Use latex gloves, that way you don't get anything your hands. You can buy a box at a hardware or autoparts store.

Use latex gloves, that way you don't get anything your hands. You can buy a box at a hardware or autoparts store.

+1 best idea ever... Get them at my latest job and do not know how I ever did ANYTHING (even clean bathrooms) without em :applause:

and just to add, no-toil sucks.

its so much easier to just use regular filter oil, and clean it with diesel fuel. traps dirt better too.

just thought I would get that out of the way. :applause:

I never even knew that there was a grease made for air filters. I've always just used regular grease. Currently I use the red grease from WalMart. It's like $2.50 for a tub of it.

If possible try and not use the black moly grease. I don't think that the moly is a problem, it's just hard to get the black off.

I never even knew that there was a grease made for air filters. I've always just used regular grease. Currently I use the red grease from WalMart. It's like $2.50 for a tub of it.

If possible try and not use the black moly grease. I don't think that the moly is a problem, it's just hard to get the black off.

I didn't know either, hell I use a good water proof grease from NAPA to seal it rim. Do you use special oil to oil the filter with?

i also use grease from napa.

it's a white lithium grease from a purple squeeze tube. it's easy to put on, and doesn't get all over the place. it's really nice.

cheap too.

I've never seen any grease specifically targeted to sealing our air filters. If there was, it would just be bearing grease re-labeled.