Sign in to follow this  

Which stroke is your fav, and why?

Just curious on which yall like for recreational ridding, the all around single tracting, juniper, hillclimbing machine? The do all of bikes.

Currently I prefer a 4 stroke cause thats what I got.

Just curious on which yall like for recreational ridding, the all around single tracting, juniper, hillclimbing machine? The do all of bikes.

Currently I prefer a 4 stroke cause thats what I got.

After 5 years of marriage, I will take any stroke. But, in regards to bikes,4 stroke all the way. There is a possible argument for a wide ratio smoker I guess too.

I think you could go either way depending on the bike really. For the last few years I've been riding a 2 stroke in the woods and for racing, but now I'm getting a 4 stroke because I felt like this particular 4 stroke handled better than my old bike. But I don't think you can say that about all bikes. In my opinion, it's all about personal preference and your riding style.

After much, much, much delibertation; I decided on a KTM 300exc because it is, IMO, the best of both worlds. Smooth, tractable power with tons of torque, yet light weight and easy to maintain.

Best part, it's a 2T with a plate.

I will buy a 4 stroke once they have FI and shed another 15lbs of weight.

Honda XR 50 - youngest son (5)

Kawasaki KLX110 - daughter (9)

Kawasaki KX80 - oldest son (10)

Kawasaki KLX125 - wife

KTM 380 EXC - me

I ditched my Honda 450r and picked up a spare KTM 380. The Honda was a great bike and handled even better than my KTM's but the $$$ to keep a high power thumper running is not worth it IMO. Also, I hated the loud sound from the 450. My KTM is not all that quiet but at least it doesn't piss off everyone around me:) The rest of the thumpers my family rides are very quiet, they are stock. Also, they are not being pushed to the raged edge so they don't need as much maintenance. I prefer the 2 stroke because I can do a top end job on the side of a trail for $200.

Joe.........

I have a small pile of both. I ride the fence on what i really like be lean towards 2 stroke mainly because of engine braking which I don't really care for. BUT I like how 4 strokes lay the power to the ground. I'm in the middle of doing a TC250 Husky (4 stroke) with a 300cc kit AND a slipper clutch for all road. My hope is it will have the great 4 stroke power, be light (as it is based on a kick start 250F) and free wheel into corners and downhill like a 2 smoke. Looking for the best attributes of both with this machine.

K

Power stroke!

IE suck, squeeze bang and blow. QUOTE]

Yer nasty!!!:applause:

Really though, I vote for my old WR426 because its got a trillion miles on it and the old bitch has never left me stranded.

Wheres that wood?

After 30 yrs of not riding got back into Jan of 07,Bought a kdx 2006 200 brand new and a klx 110 for my son who has never ridden,so far so good.Would like to put a pipe on the 110 which pipe is the best performer.

Really though, I vote for my old WR426 because its got a trillion miles on it and the old bitch has never left me stranded.

Wheres that wood?

Jeremy (oldbones) is having the same issue with his 426, he wants a new bike but no matter how much he abuses the old WR426 that POS keeps starting!!!!

4 strokes, because of the SOUND! I still remember the first time riding my YZ426 through the woods while breaking it in...the sound it made was music!! I was hooked right there. I do miss the ease of maint with 2 strokes, but I ran that Yamaha for 5+ years with only regular oil changes and it never so much as farted. My CRF450 sounds even better...not to mention the superior traction off of corners.

Another 426 owner stuck here! I love the motor on my 426, it is reliable as all get out, good on fuel, and rides well in most conditions. At the cycle show this weekend I looked at the damn KTM300 again and am in love. It is SOOOO much lighter than the 426 and I think I would love it for singletracking and racing, especially because it has a lighting coil and wide ratio. Now if I didn't have to mix gas, change plugs, and replace top ends I would be sold. Of course I probably do way more maintenance on my 426.

SOOOO:

I think I will have one of each next year!

Another 426 owner stuck here! I love the motor on my 426, it is reliable as all get out, good on fuel, and rides well in most conditions. At the cycle show this weekend I looked at the damn KTM300 again and am in love. It is SOOOO much lighter than the 426 and I think I would love it for singletracking and racing, especially because it has a lighting coil and wide ratio. Now if I didn't have to mix gas, change plugs, and replace top ends I would be sold. Of course I probably do way more maintenance on my 426.

SOOOO:

I think I will have one of each next year!

Rode one of those at Eddieville 2 weeks ago in the grass field as I was fixing to leave for the day. Wish I took it out on the course for a lap. Keep hearing good things about that bike!

mx813

Another question for the 300 owners out there. Being a somewhat frequent racer at B level and lots of fun trail riding, how often would a top end need to be changed? Gas and plugs don't worry me too much, but a top-end frequently does. Don't the bigger bore 2 strokes last longer as far as top ends go? I ask this as my 04 yz350f has been pretty rock solid as far as the engine goes. Everything still in spec, even w/4 years of racing on it so why ruin a good thing???

mx813

Those KTM300's go a LOOOOG time on a top end. When you do have to do it it's cheap and easy.

r4sbergXR600

As for plugs I don't think i have ever fouled a plug on my YZ250, that is a thing of the past as long as your well jetted. if mixing gas is to hard you should just sit in front of the TV :applause:

Those KTM300's go a LOOOOG time on a top end. When you do have to do it it's cheap and easy.

r4sbergXR600

As for plugs I don't think i have ever fouled a plug on my YZ250, that is a thing of the past as long as your well jetted. if mixing gas is to hard you should just sit in front of the TV :applause:

I do sit in front of my TV :applause: