Which stroke is your fav, and why?

So, should I get it and get killed by my wife or should the new wr 250F be enough for me? Question is how does a 98 300 compair to a new wr 250?

The hell with your wife, If she gets all up in your grill over a used bike you married the wrong gal.

By it as an investment. Spiff it up and see how you like all that extra power.

If you dont, You can probly sell it for more than you payeed for it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeremy (oldbones) is having the same issue with his 426, he wants a new bike but no matter how much he abuses the old WR426 that POS keeps starting!!!!

Yep exactly dont matter what you put them through they still run even though they weigh 310 pounds literally:crazy:

Thats why when i get a new 450 thumper i am keeping it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, So what would yall rather ride for woods bike, single track, hill climb, juniper, all around .

06 WR 250

07 YZ 250 (woods edition FWW, Gnarly)

might trade if I like the power delivery on my bro's new 83 KDX 250, is that a good comparison?

Ok, So what would yall rather ride for woods bike, single track, hill climb, juniper, all around .

06 WR 250

might trade if I like the power delivery on my bro's new 83 KDX 250, is that a good comparison?

For me, hands down I would go with the YZ! My RM250 is set up good for offroad (FWW,etc, etc, etc.) and I can lug it around all day in tight trails, and then if I get somewhere where I can really turn it up it flat out rips. That being said, the YZ250 has better power delivery IMO than the RM for offroad use.

Now, if the choice was between a YZ250 2T or a YZ450F, then I would take the 450.

06 WR 250

I would go with the WR. The YZ has got the better power cause of the different flywheel, and no lighting system; but the WR has much better gear ratios then the YZ. I dont remember the numbers, but if I think the YZ has a ratio from first gear being .9 to fifth being 1.9, whereas the WR has a first of .8 to a fifth of 2.4. Its got a little bit better first gear, and a much better top gear. I've got an 02 YZ that I love, but really wish I had the WR gears for it (my project this summer). The YZ is easier to stall in tight wooded trails, and doesn't have much top end speed on the flats. Unless your going to do a lot of MX, or single track, I'd get the WR. The guys in the YZ/WR forums can help you out on that much better then here probably. Just my 2 cents.

After much, much, much delibertation; I decided on a KTM 300exc because it is, IMO, the best of both worlds. Smooth, tractable power with tons of torque, yet light weight and easy to maintain.

Best part, it's a 2T with a plate.

I will buy a 4 stroke once they have FI and shed another 15lbs of weight.

Amen brother! :applause:

Two stroke engines are lighter, have fewer parts, rev faster (seem to have more kick cause they rev faster) and spin their tires more.

Four strokes "Thumpers", (having more internal engine parts) are heavier for the same cc size engine-compared to the 2 stroke. Thumpers usually carry more oil (to cool them) and as they rev slower, the tires hook up better, ie..less wheelspin.

So, if you want a hard- hitting, wheel spinning, ride, that's as light as possible,ride a 2 stroke.Having owned several in the past,they are a kick to ride.

If you like hill climbing, riding in mud & or deep sand,a four strokes ability to

hook up the rear tire rather than spin it (due to time interval between power pulses) has some advantages. Depends on what you want :applause:

With water cooled 2 strokes, & tighter piston to cylinder tolerances than

air cooled 2 strokes, reliability is comparable between both types. As 2 strokes became more reliable, 4 strokes have become much more maintenance

sensitive. New water cooled 4 strokes are almost as light as the 2 strokes. With light weight as a requirement for performance, now newer Thumpers carry less oil, (need more frequent changing ) and valve adjustments.

My first "thumper "was Honda's first (1972) XL 250. I rode it everywhere while stationed in Japan . Around MX tracks (!), "toured" on it (to Shimoda,Tokyo, Mt.Fuji,) in the woods,sides of mountains,on beaches. For maintenance, I changed the oil occasionally.Think I put about 20 K kilometers on it in 2 years there, then rode it in San Diego till I sold it to my brother in law.

I still enjoy riding a fast 2 stroke but I own Thumpers...Joebiker996.

I would go with the WR. The YZ has got the better power cause of the different flywheel, and no lighting system; but the WR has much better gear ratios then the YZ. I dont remember the numbers, but if I think the YZ has a ratio from first gear being .9 to fifth being 1.9, whereas the WR has a first of .8 to a fifth of 2.4. Its got a little bit better first gear, and a much better top gear. I've got an 02 YZ that I love, but really wish I had the WR gears for it (my project this summer). The YZ is easier to stall in tight wooded trails, and doesn't have much top end speed on the flats. Unless your going to do a lot of MX, or single track, I'd get the WR. The guys in the YZ/WR forums can help you out on that much better then here probably. Just my 2 cents.

i think you got the gears backwards where the bigger numerical number is lower gear and the numerically smaller number is high gear