Sign in to follow this  

XR100 Size Vs CRF150

I have a soon to be 13 year old that I'm looking to get a bike for. He likes the 150 and it seems to fit him well, but I can't find any used ones in this area. The CRF230 seems just right but I fear it may be a bit much for him. Is there a big difference between the XR100 and the CRF150? He is 5'3" by the way and has good inseam length. He has never ridden before. You input will be a big help.

Eland

I'm not really keen on the CRF150F. It seems like the same motor as the 230, just smaller cylinder bore and stroke. (eg heavy)

I would look at the Yamaha TTR125LE too. The big wheel version, skip the smaller one.

One woman I know went from the XR100 to the TTR125L and liked it a lot.

My step son is 17 and I want to start him riding. I have an XR200R, but I picked up an XR100R for him to learn on. I think the smaller bike will be easier and less intimidating. Once he outgrows the XR100, he can move right to the XR200R.

I can sell the XR100R for what I paid for it or keep it for a pit bike. My friends hold XR100 races on Tuesday night. (We are in our 40's - 50's.) :applause:

You know your kids better than we can, but I'd say the 100 may be a bit small for him. My youngest started riding the 100 when he was 9 (I did end up putting 80 wheels on it, though). The 100 certainly would serve to get him familiar with riding a clutch bike, but he could out grow it pretty quickly.

The big wheel versions of the TTR/DRZ/KLX 125's are a little bigger than the 100, but I think the 150 is even a bit bigger still. If the 150 seems right, I think the 100 will be small. I wouldn't worry about the 230 being too powerful if it fits him, but perhaps a bit heavy.

the 100 is a great beginner bike period, my wife has one, because not many bikes fit her (she is only 5' tall) and she loves it, hell I have a blast riding it too

ditto my wife is also five ft tall and the 100 fits her just right . im 300 lbs and believe it or not the 100 will tote my big a++ hahahah