Sign in to follow this  

Motion pro spark plug tool does not fit xr4

WITW!

I bought the motion pro spark plug tool supposedly for the XR400 specifically and it doesn't fit! It actually does fit my friends xr250, so I sold it to him, but how in the world do I get my spark plug out??? I need a recommended brand and where to order it from. thanks

WITW!

I bought the motion pro spark plug tool supposedly for the XR400 specifically and it doesn't fit! It actually does fit my friends xr250, so I sold it to him, but how in the world do I get my spark plug out??? I need a recommended brand and where to order it from. thanks

Tell me about it.. :applause:

In fact we've had this conversation before I believe. The good news is you can grind it down to make it fit pretty quick. It's sooooo close that just a little grinding will make it work.

Since you already ditched it, the o.e. tool is not that expensive and works like a charm. Probably the way to go.

Thank you for sharing this info. Bummer.

Someone posted there was an XR toolkit being sold on eBay.

Or you can get the OEM toolkit at the TT Store.

I bought a kit on Ebay, works fine.

I had the same problem with my motion pro spark plug wrench and ended up sticking a screwdriver through the tip of the socket and twisting it into the socket hole until it fell in. It must have shaved enough of the slag off the cylinder for it to work. However I did end up getting the oem tool and it works much better.

Hi I was wondering if you ever solved your problem, I went to the honda dealership and just ordered one through the parts department it's made just for the xr400, unfortunatly I didnt find this out until I made a three hour trip to the middle of nowhere and needed to change it. Anyway i bought one and it works great. hope i helped out

The Plug Wrench 89216-MJ1-000

Wrench for the plug wrench 89225-KF0-000

Plug Wrench+Wrench+Bag 89010-KCY-670

are there any other sockets I can use to get the spark plug out?

not that i know of. the thing about it is the that the xr400 head is just a weird shape and you can't just stick like a socket down in there. Honda has got it down. my dad and i have two of them, one for each bike, never had to use them on the trail though.

snap-on thin wall 12 pt deep 18mm works no prob.

i bought a vato zone deep 6pt 18mm and spent way too long grinding it, checking for fit, grinding, checking, etc. not sure if i would do it again, or recomend that route.

It's actually cheaper to buy the tool kit instead of the individual parts.

89010-KCY-670 which consists of the bag, spark plug socket and wrench.

Hi All.

Is the XR400 plug spanner the same as the XR 600 one look the same on the parts fiche, but can't find a part number for the XR600 one?

Same non fit on my Motion pro socket. I sent MP an email asking them about it and got no reply. Second time I have gotten no reply from them about a problem. No more MP for me. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if I even know where my honda one is. I only pulled the plug once after a re jet a long time ago. Still the same plug in mine since 2006. :ride: Dont know if thats a good or bad thing come to think of it. :thumbsup:

there was another thread about this, the guy thought his 18mm motionpro socket wouldnt fit but the actual problem was that he had a 16mm spark plug. i bought an iridium plug and it also turned out to be 16mm, when i went to change it i discovered the one in my 250 was also a 16mm so it seems they are rather common so i wouldnt be surprised if that is the problem. and if the tools actually dont fit, just try a 16mm anyways to see if the plug is an aftermarket...

there was another thread about this, the guy thought his 18mm motionpro socket wouldnt fit but the actual problem was that he had a 16mm spark plug. i bought an iridium plug and it also turned out to be 16mm, when i went to change it i discovered the one in my 250 was also a 16mm so it seems they are rather common so i wouldnt be surprised if that is the problem. and if the tools actually dont fit, just try a 16mm anyways to see if the plug is an aftermarket...

If the specific tool for a specific bike is too large to go in the hole it is totally irrelevant what size the plug is.

I am using the spark plug wrench that came with my '08 KLR 650. That works fine.

When I wash my bike, the "plug well" is one area I really hose out.

Then I use an air compressor in the plug well before removing the plug.

A quick Google search returned "18mm thin wall plug socket"...  Get a 12 point socket, they have a thinner wall.   Craftsman, Lowes, Autozone,...

Measure the sparkplug socket that does not work, before going out and buying another one.   Measure twice, buy once.

Also, a good reminder to use Fuel tubing on the end of the plug to insert it.  Much easier to install.

http://www.hondashad...all-socket.html