Sign in to follow this  

First Mod For 2006 YZ250F??

i was wondering what the best first mod i should get for my bike first. ive heard of a few things and was wondering what you guys think????

Put in a #40 or #50 Leak jet, then change out that stock front tire to a better tire like a Michelin MS3, or a Dunlop 756, put on a higher quality chain, the stock one stretches too easy and wrecks the sprockets, grease your steering bearings, swingarm, linkage, and wheel bearings. Once all thats done, get your suspension re-valved.

I agree with the leak jet, anywhere from 40-60 seems to work well. Inexpensive, and pretty much a necessity. Also a 45 pilot was in order for me, but results may vary due to location.

Set your sag; I like it around 95mm on the 2006 (but more like 100mm on my 2003). Free!

Grease everything, like was previously mentioned.

Triple clamps/eAxle: different offsets; I'm happy with my Applied 27mm. Do some searches/research on this one.

Put in a #40 or #50 Leak jet, then change out that stock front tire to a better tire like a Michelin MS3, or a Dunlop 756, put on a higher quality chain, the stock one stretches too easy and wrecks the sprockets, grease your steering bearings, swingarm, linkage, and wheel bearings. Once all thats done, get your suspension re-valved.

Yeah what he said:thumbsup:

do the redbear on your bike and u dont have to change the leak jet i did this to my 06 and it works great its what my dealer told me to do and helped alot also pj for your area of riding cuase i really had to go up for winter but thats all i can think of

The best bang for your $$ is getting your suspension valved and sprung for your weight and riding style.

I would probably replace the tire first, but everything mentioned here is spot on!

I would probably replace the tire first, but everything mentioned here is spot on!

I agree with you, he had everything, but like you; i too would do the tire first. A 49t rear helps it pull quicker also.

well im gunna get a new tire today and leak jet and check out the chains. what kinda chain do u suggest? other than that i appreciate all ur help. oh and suspension what do i do just adjust the sag or should id do more. i ride in the desert and track both about the same amount. so what would be my best bet

Get your sag set first, then set the compression and rebound to factory settings, and ride it,:applause: then make your adjusments from there, be sure to record every change and the results in some kind of log book so you can see if you are making it better or worse, don't spend any money on suspension until you can no longer improve it with adjustments. I highly reccomend the Moose chains.

well im gunna get a new tire today and leak jet and check out the chains. what kinda chain do u suggest? other than that i appreciate all ur help. oh and suspension what do i do just adjust the sag or should id do more. i ride in the desert and track both about the same amount. so what would be my best bet

What is your weight? if over 180 you should think of heavier springs. If over 200 make it more of a priority.

Set your sag at 95~ish and then test static sag, thats the amount the bike sags on its own. You want that to be about 1/2-1''.

I dont think you can go wrong with any name brand chain. DID, Renthal and RK are all good ones also.