Sign in to follow this  

Motard Questions.

I was looking to turn my '06 Yammie WR450 into a Supermotard. I was wondering what other things I should look into besides , new rims , tires and front brake.

Also if I wanted to ride it in packed dirt trails or similar what kinda tires would you suggest ?

Thanks guys.

If you look at my join date , I have been browsing and searching the forums fer awhile .... and have not come across those specifics. But I am still searching and watching what ppl post. I will not be making it street legal , only taking it to the occasional track day. There are some places up here where I can ride it on tarmac and such , but most the stuff I come across is just hard packed dirt trails and roads.

Anyone's input would be great.

Thanks again. :applause:

Check out the SM conversion packages at motostrano.com or eastcoastwheels.com. That should give you an idea of how little or how big you can go with your conversion.

I did a modified "sportsman's" conversion to my bike and have ridden at the track, on the street, and in the trails. Basically I've kept the big rims and run Avon Gripsters which are a 95/5 on/offroad tire. I still have some dirt grip, I have the same clearance of the stock WR, have a big that is good at the track, gerat on the street, and saved big $$$ by not having to buy new rims. You just gotta watch out for really soft stuff and anything that might ding up your big front rotor. The big wheels give you just a bit more off road ability, although I wouldn't have any problems riding fire roads, RR tracks, and some less-agressive trails with the 17s.

Honestly though, if you're gonna do mostly track, you'll want the 17s. Mine are on the way this spring :applause: