Sign in to follow this  

96 xr400 with a 440 kit

I'm looking at a very clean 96 xr400 with a 440 excel wheels, bunch of bolt on stuff, desert tank, baja designs kit, plated for CA, etc....mukuni pumper carb....guy is asking 1500 bucks.

He does not know what 440 kit is on it. not sure of the compression ratio. He said you can feel the compression it has when you kick it. He said when it gets really hot after a while of driving it only pings when you get on it hard.

Now, they sell a 10.5 and a 12.5 kit. I would think it is the 10.5 kit b/c at 12.5 it should ping all the time. However, i'm coming on here to ask what you guys think and how your bikes run with both kits....

how is starting both ratios? what do you think this bike has?

thanks

Erik

Wiseco makes an 11.1 440 as well and I have that one. I run pump gas and it has been fine. Mine is also a 96 and I paid that much for mine without a mikuni or rims and is had a 416 in it. If its in good shape otherwise I would think good of that price.

I would grab that bike as soon as possible. Sounds like all the hassle people go through of making the XR400 faster, that guy has already done.

Haven't had any experience with higher compression. Although there are a few things to do to make the bike run cooler. I have heard Amsoil synthetic lets the bike run maybe 10-20 degrees cooler (from what people have said). You can also wrap your headers to help heat escape faster. I think XR's Only also does a head fin size increase to help get rid of heat a lot faster.

how hard to start is these bikes with the higher compression piston?

assuming stock is 10:1, a 10:5 or 11 kit would not be bad i don't think. a 12.5 might be even worse...

I'm riding a 76 mt 250 honda 2 stroke right now on the street. that is not fun to start. the guy said this bike still have a manual decompression lever on it, hopefully it helps...

For $1500 bucks, I'd buy now and ask questions later. That's a great price for a plated XR w/ all the fixin's. The fact alone that it's got a plate is worth a lot, not to mention the Mikuni, wheels, tank, etc.

I'm looking at a very clean 96 xr400 with a 440 excel wheels, bunch of bolt on stuff, desert tank, baja designs kit, plated for CA, etc....mukuni pumper carb....guy is asking 1500 bucks.

He does not know what 440 kit is on it. not sure of the compression ratio. He said you can feel the compression it has when you kick it. He said when it gets really hot after a while of driving it only pings when you get on it hard.

Now, they sell a 10.5 and a 12.5 kit. I would think it is the 10.5 kit b/c at 12.5 it should ping all the time. However, i'm coming on here to ask what you guys think and how your bikes run with both kits....

how is starting both ratios? what do you think this bike has?

thanks

Erik

My '98 440 has the 11:1 piston. It runs fine on 92-93 octane, nothing less. It starts just as easily as a stock 400. I have it jetted barely rich to help keep it cooler.

Don't run the stock DPR8Z plug in it. Run the cooler, DPR9Z.

The jetting may be off a little too, making it run hot, but the 440 is going to run hot anyway. A few other things I've done to keep the heat down on mine is wrap the header, cooler plug, full synth oil, and the Too2Cool additive.

Too2Cool additive.

I guess I'm out of the loop on this stuff. Can you direct me to some scientific info/tests on Two2Cool?

For $1500 bucks, I'd buy now and ask questions later. That's a great price for a plated XR w/ all the fixin's. The fact alone that it's got a plate is worth a lot, not to mention the Mikuni, wheels, tank, etc.

yeah, what he said. if you don't buy it, lemme know and i'll buy it!

I guess I'm out of the loop on this stuff. Can you direct me to some scientific info/tests on Two2Cool?

No, I can't immediately. It's been over a year since I did my research into the stuff. There are lots of threads here in the archives about it, and my own questions at the time to those in the know.

From what I remember about what it does: it essentially helps prevent oil from foaming when it gets very hot. Foaming oil coats your internal engine surfaces in tiny air bubbles.

The function of Oil is not only to act as lubrication between engine parts, it's also a heat transfer medium, absorbing heat by conduction and being carried off to the oil cooler. Oil that is coating internal surfaces as a film of bubbles cannot absorb/transfer heat properly, and so temps get very high.

After doing my 440 kit, I was seeing regular oil temps as high as 270* and getting a visible vapor and smell of burning/hot oil from my crankcase vent tube that I'd never experienced before. After doing alot of searching and question asking on this and other forums, I came to the conclusion that my oil was foaming from the excessive temps. Reading what info on the Two2Cool additive I could find and reading user reports, I decided to give it a try. It's a little expensive, but I figured, if it does as advertised and lowers my engines temps, it will be worth it. 1 bottle is good for 2 oil changes.

I can say I saw a drop of 25* using the stuff. The header wrap further dropped my temps another 25*.

If you find the user reports I did, you'll see some that say the Two2Cool didn't do anything for them. And it won't unless you're having the oil foaming problem it's designed to alleviate, as it's not one of those additives that's supposed to make your oil "slipperier", or bond to the metal like some of the teflon and Slick 50 type products.

The stuff seems to be working for me, take that as you will.

Trailryder 42, thanks for the info. I have never observed oil foaming in any of my XRs, I assume that this condition would be noticeable on the dipstick.

Trailryder 42, thanks for the info. I have never observed oil foaming in any of my XRs, I assume that this condition would be noticeable on the dipstick.

Yes, I think so. I've witnessed it on my own stick, before the additive and header wrap, tho I didn't think anything of it at the time.