Sign in to follow this  

how to choose a bar

How do you choose what rise, bend, and what not when getting an aftermarket handlebar?

It really depends on your height, reach and which bike you ride. I prefer Pro Taper Taperwalls in the Windham bend.

Go to the dealer and sit on different brands of bikes, KX, YZ, RM, KX, KTM ect... Find which one suits you the best. Most bar manufacturers list rise, width and sweep. Find one that matches the one you liked at the dealer.

Honestly, it's kind of a trial and error. Pick the bar you like best. After riding with it a few times you can tell if you need a taller/lower or more or less sweep.

He are a few 1 1/8 bends:

http://www.protaper.com/07/contents/products/handlebars/contour.html

http://www.renthal.com/fbmaster.asp

It really depends on your height, reach and which bike you ride. I prefer Pro Taper Taperwalls in the Windham bend.

Go to the dealer and sit on different brands of bikes, KX, YZ, RM, KX, KTM ect... Find which one suits you the best. Most bar manufacturers list rise, width and sweep. Find one that matches the one you liked at the dealer.

Honestly, it's kind of a trial and error. Pick the bar you like best. After riding with it a few times you can tell if you need a taller/lower or more or less sweep.

He are a few 1 1/8 bends:

http://www.protaper.com/07/contents/products/handlebars/contour.html

http://www.renthal.com/fbmaster.asp

I have been considering the Windham bend ProTaper bars. How do you like yours? I'm about 6' tall and often times I feel like I'm hunching over on the bike went I stand. Are you about this height?

Thanks

I'm 5'11" and LOVE the Windham bend. I was given a set of Pro Taper Contours for Xmas in the CR Mid bend. I had these on an old bike and liked em, got em on my CRF450R and HATED them. Had to send them back and got some of the same bars in the Windham bend. The Windham bend is almost identical to the stock bend on the Honda CRF450R 05-06 and I think 07 is the same also.

Once apon a time a local club here set up a training day with Gaston Rahier. Bike set-up was first on the schedule, he got everyone to swap bikes and loosen all the controls. First thing was to get the bars to where they needed to be so there was the correct amount of elbow bend when in the correct riding position, then set up brake, clutch etc. We had to get the bike on a stand and "assume the position" with the bars down out of the way and our eyes closed. He cruised around checking and moving our riding position and hands to where he reckoned they should be. Then we had to adjust the bars to suit, we did this until we could reach for where the bars should be with our eyes closed and find them exactly there (there was more detail about "the position" but you get the idea). We had to change bikes again, this time he specified which bike, (later I figured out he'd chosen a bike owned by someone who was a way different shape to you) and run through the procedure again. Finally, when you got back on your own bike it was so far wrong (of course) that you got to do it all over again, with all his tips still fresh in your mind. Must admit my bike finished the day set up a fair bit different. Guess you first need to figure what riding position you should be adopting, then work through the same procedure with your existing bars to work out if the shape needs to be different. I'm 6'2", not that tall but my KLX was pretty cramped standard, I had trouble finding bars high enough. In fact I'm on the hunt again, for taller bars with minimal pull-back....

Luck dude....