Sign in to follow this  

Good places to ride near Seattle?

My girlfriend and I are going to be visiting relatives in Seattle this weekend. We are bringing our bikes with us. I haven't done any riding in the area.

I looked through the links stickied at the top of the forum but they are mostly for MX.

Where are the current best places to ride trails that are near Seattle, or between Seattle and Vancouver (within an hour, preferably less)? She is a beginner so somewhere pretty easy would be ideal.

Thanks.

Tehuya is much better than walker valley, and is about the same distance. Much easier trails to.

Both seem like good options.

What is the easiest/quickest way to get to Tahuya? Take the ferry from Seattle and then drive down? How much is the ferry? How long will it take to get there?

Thanks for the info.

The ferry is pretty spendy going from Seattle to Bremerton (you have to pay for driver and passenger, whereas on the way back, you just pay for the driver), but from Bremerton to Seattle I think it's like $10 or something like that. Here's the link to the ferry homepage: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

I usually just drive from Seattle around to Tahuya. It's about an hour and a half south/west.

I take the west Seattle ferry to Southworth cost around $11 each way.

Sounds all right - how long does the trip take (ferry+driving)?

I take the west Seattle ferry to Southworth cost around $11 each way.

You'll still have to pay a passenger fee going from west seattle to southworth.

You'll still have to pay a passenger fee going from west seattle to southworth.

1 truck three people, three bikes in the bach $11.50

so KTM chick shhhh.:applause:

Thanks again for the info.

And Walker Valley, is it still fun despite not being as good as Tahuya?

Walker is not as easy as Tahuya, so it all depends on what you like.:applause:

Right now, there is snow in the top part and plenty of puddles everywhere else.

Here a trail map:

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/dataandmaps/maps/pdf/walker_12_full.pdf

Its about 15 minutes off of I-5 east of Mt Vernon.

We ended up hitting Walker on the way home to Vancouver. Thanks for all the info. Tahuya was just a little too far out of the way.

Walker ruled - great fun. Lots of people out. The weather was good, the wide-open trails tacky and the single-track mucky. My girlfriend was fine with the level of riding. We stuck mostly to all-use trails, green circles and some blue squares.

I was really impressed with the park. We have nothing like it in Canada (i.e. ORV parks). I think it will become a regular stop on the way home from Seattle.

Just as we were packing up, some dude pulled up in his truck, unloaded his bike and proceeded to empty the tank, via the petcock, onto the ground in the parking lot. Is that sort of thing common?

Walker is one of my favorite places to ride, I like it better than tahulya. Tahulya is ok when it dries up, but Walker has more challenging trails. I think of Walker more has being more muddy and Tahulya as being more wet, if that makes any sense??

Some idiot pouring fuel in the parking lot is not the norm and the last thing this sport needs. We need to step up and be vocal when we see this kind of crap, it's not cool.

"T"

Just as we were packing up, some dude pulled up in his truck, unloaded his bike and proceeded to empty the tank, via the petcock, onto the ground in the parking lot. Is that sort of thing common?

Not only uncommon, but illegal. Next time document the license number. If public humiliation on this forum doesn't work, there's always the law. :applause:

I figured as much but since I am not a local and didn't know local 'customs', I didn't want to be dink.

Anyway, Walker was excellent. Kudos to the riding community down there for managing to get government on side. I wish we could do something similar here.

What an idiot. Why would you waste gas like that especially with the way prices are right now?! :applause:

Jethro...generally speaking, walker is a really tiny area for WA. (no offense to anyone, as i like it and it is closest to me)....just to give you an idea of whats "down here". also, most of the other established orv riding areas have a trailhead/parking area similar to walkers with size commensurate to the size of the riding area.

Joe

Jethro...generally speaking, walker is a really tiny area for WA. (no offense to anyone, as i like it and it is closest to me)....just to give you an idea of whats "down here". also, most of the other established orv riding areas have a trailhead/parking area similar to walkers with size commensurate to the size of the riding area.

Joe

Wow - if that's the case, I can't wait to check out some of the other areas.